Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does HIPAA Even Work?????

tag
want2b_800s
Contributor

Does HIPAA Even Work?????

Is there anyone out there who can help with HIPAA? I have followed the procedures outlined on this website to a "T" and now have received a letter from the CA saying they've sent my letter to their legal dept. Is this normal or am I now entering into a legal issue where I'll have to hire a lawyer?

My original thread was hijacked, so here I am starting anew. I still see the HIPAA letters and guidance posted on this site, so I'm guessing the process still works.

Is there anyone out there who can help?
Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does HIPAA Even Work?????

BUMP

Message Edited by llecs on 09-30-2008 11:51 PM
Message 2 of 21
fused
Moderator Emeritus

want2b_800s wrote:
Is there anyone out there who can help with HIPAA? I have followed the procedures outlined on this website to a "T" and now have received a letter from the CA saying they've sent my letter to their legal dept. Is this normal or am I now entering into a legal issue where I'll have to hire a lawyer?

My original thread was hijacked, so here I am starting anew. I still see the HIPAA letters and guidance posted on this site, so I'm guessing the process still works.

Is there anyone out there who can help?

Refresh our memories. I assume the collection is not paid. How much is it? Hospital or doctor bill? When did you have the medical service? Where are you with the letter process? Have all of the CRA's reporting the collection verified it? As a result of the pre-HIPAA medical dispute letter, has the CA sent you a complete and accurate validation of the debt? When it comes to unpaid medical collections, it's important to remember that the HIPAA letter process will only work if you can PIF. I would never advise anyone to use the HIPAA letter process on large unpaid collections which you cannot PIF, you would be asking for a lawsuit in seconds flat. This is especially the case with large unpaid hospital debt.
Message 3 of 21
want2b_800s
Contributor

EX verified, so I sent the letter you suggested to the CA. When I got the green card back (which was yesterday) I sent a copy of the green card and the CRA letter to the one CRA still reporting (EX). Today, I got a letter from the CA, dated 9/26/08 which says:

"This is reply to your correspondence received in our office.

Your letter has been referred to the Legal Department. Be advised that we have fulfilled our obligation in accordance with FDCPA law by providing you with the itemization of the charges. There will be no further verification forthcoming nor is there any legal obligation to provide additional documentation. If you feel there is an error in some portion of the bill you may send your documentation to this office for review.

The reporting of delinquent accounts to the various credit bureaus does not constitute any violation of the HIPAA Act. NO medical information is transmitted

If you wish to resolve this balance you may send your payment directly to this office.

Below is the name and address of the original creditor. The address is that of the billing office and may not reflect the actual service site."

I can PIF. It is a hospital bill for my husband. Please advise next steps.

Thanks
Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 21
want2b_800s
Contributor

any thoughts?
Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 21
want2b_800s
Contributor

Hi Fused -

Could you let me know what I should do at this point?  I keep getting to this point and no further.  Should I do a pfd?

Please let me know.  I started down this road and would like to complete what I had started.

Thank you

Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new to the HIPPA process as used here myself.  However, my Ex used to work with it alot.  As I understand it, the CA is not the one to push the HIPPA process with.  This must be the OC as they are the ones liable for the information.

However, I am concerned about their statement saying that they have complied with FDCA

"Be advised that we have fulfilled our obligation in accordance with FDCPA law by providing you with the itemization of the charges. There will be no further verification forthcoming nor is there any legal obligation to provide additional documentation."

The itemized charges are nothing but computer data most of the time.  Have they given you anything concrete that has your signature on it? 

Message 7 of 21
want2b_800s
Contributor

Thank you for your repy.  I feel abandoned after starting down this road.  In any event, they only provided a spreadsheet saying the date it was assinged to them and the amount.  An unpdated amount and 10% interest. 

It also said if I wanted to get copies of anything I'd have to contact the OC.  They gave me a billing office address, no phone.  

Not sure what FUSED thought I should do when I got to this point, but here I am.  I am a little worried about the legal department notice in the letter.  Should I just pfd?  DV the OC or what?  

Any advice?  Anyone?

Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 21
want2b_800s
Contributor

Bump
Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 21
Veee
Frequent Contributor

I know its frustrating not getting an answer right away but with Hippa I wouldn't do anything until someone gets here to give you that advise.  Hang in there, Fused or someone with more knowledge regarding hippa will answer you.

If I'm not mistaken it's been rather slow around here today.

Veee

Myfico scores as of 11/12/08 TU 750 EX 722

MyFico scores as of 9/20/08 TU 638 EX 663 EQ 691
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.