Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does HIPAA Even Work?????

tag
want2b_800s
Contributor

Re: Does HIPAA Even Work?????

I know....you're right.  It has been slow around here, but I feel like I just woke a sleeping giant, and I'm scared.  Hopefully things will get back to  normal soon.

Thanks for talking me down...lol.

Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 21
Veee
Frequent Contributor

I totally get it!  It's Friday, if its slow again today maybe one of the weekend worriors will be here to catch up for everyone Smiley Happy and you won't have to wait that long.

We are having a comforting session here ... go back up a couple of posts to pick up the topic again Smiley Tongue

Myfico scores as of 11/12/08 TU 750 EX 722

MyFico scores as of 9/20/08 TU 638 EX 663 EQ 691
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully Fused will be around today to give you direct advice/instructions. The HIPAA process most certainly does work. It has not failed me yet, and it will work for you too! It sounds like the CA is blowing smoke to try to scare/bully you into paying them without validation with that "legal dept. blurb". Don't worry! From what you've written (I went back and read your original thread) it appears that Ex hasn't replied to your last letter, and the CA can't verify-- otherwise, they would have been been more than happy to. Remember, the burden of proof is on them, not you.

Wait for Fused, and don't worry about their "legal dept." crap. I'm still willing to bet that EX will delete from your last letter. 

@want2b_800s wrote:

I know....you're right.  It has been slow around here, but I feel like I just woke a sleeping giant, and I'm scared.  Hopefully things will get back to  normal soon.

Thanks for talking me down...lol.

Message 13 of 21
want2b_800s
Contributor

BUMP
Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know, if the HIPAA process didn't work, there wouldn't be so many people using it. The CRAs pay attention to it, or they wouldn't be deleting so many accounts from credit reports.

If I understand this correctly, those CAs have to validate the debt to you, not just verify it with the CRAs. In order to validate it, they do have to transmit private health information. They are allowed to do this if there is a business purpose involved, and once a bill is paid, there is none, so they can't report.

While the letter you got says no private health information is transmitted, even the name of the original creditor can be private health information.

They probably referred the letter to their legal department because the letters on this forum tend to have strong language about consumers' rights. CAs do use scare tactics whenever possible, so don't let it get to you.

I had two CAs with medical bills tell me they never take them off the reports, but the HIPAA process made both of those go away.

Just read the directions carefully and again as you go step-by-step through it. I am juggling a lot of accounts myself, so I know how confusing it can get.  But don't get discouraged.

Message 15 of 21
want2b_800s
Contributor

bump
Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 21
want2b_800s
Contributor

BUMP
Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes HIPPA works

Myself x 1/1

Wife x 3/4 (waiting for Experian then it will be 4/4)

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Want2b,

Have you had any changes since you sent the CRA the copy of the gc and letter you sent to the CA?  Is that the last step you have taken? 

Message 19 of 21
fused
Moderator Emeritus

What was EX's response to your follow-up dispute letter? As for the CA's response, it more than appears they have a business purpose to your PHI and they have validated the debt. IF EX verifies, then do the following:

Scenario #1: If the CRA verifies your unpaid (and in rare instances, paid ones too) med collection and the reporting CA provides a complete and accurate validation of the account, send the HIPAA letter to the OC CMRRR. Use  insert A and pay with a cashier’s check and use the restrictive endorsement on the back of the check, for deposit only into the account of Dr. XXXXX  XXXXX or the Hospital Name) and send it CMRRR. If paid, use insert B.

HIPAA LETTER TO THE OC

Send the first letter to the OC, once you receive the green card, send follow-up dispute letter below to the CRA’s CMRRR.

FOLLOW-UP DISPUTE LETTER TO THE CRA

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.