cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Re-aging Affect Length of Credit History?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Re-aging Affect Length of Credit History?

If I request a re age on my Capital One card (my oldest cc), does that affect the history of that card?  In other words, will it show on my credit report as being a new cc and I lose that length of time?

Also, what accounts will creditors typically re age?  CCs, student loans (Direct Loans), Wachovia auto loan?  I looked around, but can't find this exact information anywhere else on the site.  

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Re: Does Re-aging Affect Length of Credit History?

@Anonymous wrote:

If I request a re age on my Capital One card (my oldest cc), does that affect the history of that card?  In other words, will it show on my credit report as being a new cc and I lose that length of time?

Also, what accounts will creditors typically re age?  CCs, student loans (Direct Loans), Wachovia auto loan?  I looked around, but can't find this exact information anywhere else on the site.  

Thanks!

I'm not sure I understand. Why do you want your oldest cc to re age? Re age to what? A more recent date? You DO NOT want a cc to report as being new as your this would affect your average age of accounts. A long history is helping, not hurting you.

Are these closed or open accounts you are referring to? Creditors shouldn't reage accounts at least they are not supposed to do this. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to include why I want a re age.  I have several late payments in this credit card over the last few years.  I have been perfect since August, and in fact, don't owe any money on this card right now.

I was stupid in the past and I am trying to clean everything up.  I would like to erase the negs on this card and was wondering if a re-age will do it.  I have 4 30 days, 2 60s and 2 90s on this card.  The latest 90 was August 08, at which point I paid it off and have been good since then.

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

StartingSlow wrote:

I forgot to include why I want a re age.  I have several late payments in this credit card over the last few years.  I have been perfect since August, and in fact, don't owe any money on this card right now.

I was stupid in the past and I am trying to clean everything up.  I would like to erase the negs on this card and was wondering if a re-age will do it.  I have 4 30 days, 2 60s and 2 90s on this card.  The latest 90 was August 08, at which point I paid it off and have been good since then.

That is not re-aging. What you are describing to do is GWing. Re-aging is a very bad thing done by some unscrupulous CAs, usually, who will alter the DOFD to extend the SOL and/or CRTP.

Yes, you can GW this account and with some luck get those baddies removed which will likely help your score.

Message 4 of 5
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok. Even if you could possibly get this as a new account (which you can't) , the lates will still be on your cr. You would have to good will those off. If all of those lates are for that card, it might just be about impossible to get them ALL removed. I would try to at least get the 90 & 60 day lates off. Those are killers. You can always try good willing those. It can't hurt.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.