Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody know?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anybody know?

Hey guys sorry if this has been asked a million times before... but does anyone know how I go about writing a letter to credit card companies about removing hard inquiries and a late payment?  What I mean is when I write them do I provide them with my social security number?  Im recovering from identity theft, Im scared to write my social down in a letter and send it off.

Im trying to see if I can get 1 late payment record off of my report and some hard inquiries.  Thanks!! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Fraction
Valued Member

Re: Does anybody know?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-o...

This thread would be a great place to start. Good luck!

Starting Scores: EQ - 624/TU - 627/EX - 645 (2/10/17)
Current Scores: EQ - 723/TU - 728/EX - 736 (5/8/18)
Goal Scores: 725 on all
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Does anybody know?

They already have your SSN, so the only problem would be the slim possibility that your letter was intercepted.

However, if concerned, why not simply identify with your name, address, DOB, account number?

As for good-will requests, yes as for the reported delinquency, but no as to the inquiry.

An inquiry is not furnishing of information to a CRA, it is just the opposite.  It is a request to see what others have reported.  Once an inquiry is filled, it is a "toothpaste out of the tube" proposition, and cannot be undone.  Someone has obtained your personal information.

If there is any challenge to their permissible purpose or civil action seeking damages for improper access, the CRA must preserve that evidence, and will not delete.

The FCRA includes provisions requiring a CRA to maintain a record of inquries, and to provide that information to a creditor upon their request.  

Their is, however, and altenate possibillty of requesting the creditor recode their inquiry as a so-called soft inquiry, which removes it from access by others, and thus from scoring. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.