cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does asking for credit increase hurt scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does asking for credit increase hurt scores?

I am considering asking Cap 1 and USAA about increasing my credit limits (both paid in full every month, and USAA actually dropped my available credit several years ago, not sure why and the last time I asked for increase they denied).  Does asking for an increase ding your credit score like an initial application does?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does asking for credit increase hurt scores?

If they do a soft pull then no.

But, if they do a Hard pull on your credit then it will count as a hard pull inquiry.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they require a hard inquiry for CLI approval -- which is more than likely the case if it's a consumer requested CLI... but the additional CL and lowering of util might provide a bigger boost over the long-term than the initial hit from any inquiry. Only way to know is to call a CSR and ask about their CLI procedures before requesting one.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback - I chatted with capital one and they said they do a SOFT PULL for their CLIs - Smiley Happy

Also they gave me the following stipulations:

Please keep in mind that some types of accounts are rarely eligible for increased credit lines upon request, including Secured Card accounts, accounts enrolled in the Credit Steps program, accounts that are less than six months old, and accounts that have received a credit line increase or decrease in the last six months.

I have had the account for 12 years, unsecured, never had an increase or decrease, but I wanted to post it in case it helps others.  Thanks again everyone!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.