Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does combining CL decrease AAoA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does combining CL decrease AAoA?

Cap1 has offered me to combine some of my credit accounts (currently have 4 but only 1 with a balance).  We will be refinancing our mortgage soon and I need to boost my score as much as possible.  Would combining my oldest lines to my newer lines decrease my average age of accounts further? The following is what is proposed:

Available cards to combine:

Opened 08/03 - $800 CL $0 balance, $39 annual fee; 14.9% APR

Opened 05/02 - $750 CL $0 balance, $59 annual fee; 18.15% APR

Opened 03/04 - $400 CL $0 balance, $59 annual fee; 27.24% APR

The following card can be combined with any above, however the rates will remain the same:

Opened 10/12 - $3k CL $ 1,300 balance, 22.9% APR

I plan on paying off the balance soon, but I have a few other cards with similar/higher APR's that I'm currently focusing in on.

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does combining CL decrease AAoA?

@Anonymous wrote:

Cap1 has offered me to combine some of my credit accounts (currently have 4 but only 1 with a balance).  We will be refinancing our mortgage soon and I need to boost my score as much as possible.  Would combining my oldest lines to my newer lines decrease my average age of accounts further? The following is what is proposed:

Available cards to combine:

Opened 08/03 - $800 CL $0 balance, $39 annual fee; 14.9% APR

Opened 05/02 - $750 CL $0 balance, $59 annual fee; 18.15% APR

Opened 03/04 - $400 CL $0 balance, $59 annual fee; 27.24% APR

The following card can be combined with any above, however the rates will remain the same:

Opened 10/12 - $3k CL $ 1,300 balance, 22.9% APR

I plan on paying off the balance soon, but I have a few other cards with similar/higher APR's that I'm currently focusing in on.

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

No, it will not effect AAoA. I would not worry about APR's, if you're not carrying a balance then the APR is irrelevant - its the Annual Fees you want to eliminate.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.