cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does contacting a collections agency restart the clock?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does contacting a collections agency restart the clock?

Hi!
I just began to work on rebuilding my credit as I prepare to buy a home. I am currently working with a credit counselor who works for the home builder I am planning on purchasing a home from. The counselor had been very helpful but sometimes I'm not sure if she is just guessing or really does know what she's saying. I have been working to PFD all the collection accounts possible. She recently told me that although doing so has raised my score that she recommends not contacting any more collections agencies because if the date of service was 2/2011 and I spoke to them about a PFD that they could bring the date of service current to reflect the date I spoke with them, 02/2016. The Internet tells me that's not true. Is it?
Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Does contacting a collections agency restart the clock?

By "date of service," I presume she meant the date of first delinquency?

The term "date of service" is not a term pertaining to credit reporting.

It is likely that she was referring to the expiration of the statute of limittations governing the period in which a credtior must bring civil action.

In some states, making a firm offer to pay or making any payment can reset the running of the period undr the statute of limitations.

Howver, the SOL is totally unrelated to credti report exclusion, and there is no reset of the credit report exclusion period.

The date of exclusion of a collection from your credit report is based ONLY on the date of your first delinquency with the origiinal creditor.

The debt colector is required to obtain that date from the OC, and report it to the CRA.

The date of any other action, such as contact with the debt collector, any payments, etc., are all irrelevant to credit report exclusion.

The maximum credit report exclusion date is no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

The CRAs will normally exlcude at approx 7 years from DOFD.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you acknowledge the debt, it becomes current.  "Well you went to that hospital for that didn't you?" If that gives a yes, then it's considered new.  If you're doing a PFD, keep saying that you have no idea of what it is.

Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If you acknowledge the debt, it becomes current.  "Well you went to that hospital for that didn't you?" If that gives a yes, then it's considered new.  If you're doing a PFD, keep saying that you have no idea of what it is.

Not necessarily. Some states require a new written promise to pay and subsequent default to reset SOL.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies. I'm unsure what she meant. If I call to try and do a pay for delete, can calling them impact my credit score negatively in any way? I don't know until I call if they can offer a PFD but I don't want just calling them to hurt me. Why is this all so confusing? Lol.
Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for the replies. I'm unsure what she meant. If I call to try and do a pay for delete, can calling them impact my credit score negatively in any way? I don't know until I call if they can offer a PFD but I don't want just calling them to hurt me. Why is this all so confusing? Lol.

Simply calling someone doesnt hurt your score you need to make sure that they dont take it as a dispute as this could cause an update at the CRA and if it hasnt updatred in awhile then it could cause a drop in Fico.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense. Thank you for all your help!

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with RobertEG and gdale6. You can always look up your state's consumer debt law for more specific info.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.