cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does credit/balance ratio only apply to unsecured debt or also to student loans.

tag
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Does credit/balance ratio only apply to unsecured debt or also to student loans.

I am paying off my credit cards and I will have them paid off by 2015.  My student loans are in deferrment and I only think I will be making interest payments for the first four years till I settle down.  As a result, it says by student loans are at over 100% their original loan because of accrued interest.  Will this affect the credit/balance aspect of my score or does it only apply to the credit cards?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Does credit/balance ratio only apply to unsecured debt or also to student loans.

If you are talking about utilization, that is only revolving.  Installment loans have a separate utilzation but factors little into the FICO score.

Message 2 of 6
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does credit/balance ratio only apply to unsecured debt or also to student loans.

This is good news.  So pretty much if you don't carry credit card balances, that part of your score is guaranteed to be good.

Message 3 of 6
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@danny4l wrote:

This is good news.  So pretty much if you don't carry credit card balances, that part of your score is guaranteed to be good.

Actually, you DO want to carry credit card balances. Just very small ones, which you can pay off shortly after they report to avoid paying interest. But the scoring systems don't like seeing NO balances. Even a $10 balance is better than having zero on all cards.

Otherwise, you sound like you're doing great. And good luck!

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

For optimum scoring, let all but one card report a 0 balance.  Let one report at 9% or below.  YMMV so you may need to experiment to see what works best for you.

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

For optimum scoring, let all but one card report a 0 balance.  Let one report at 9% or below.  YMMV so you may need to experiment to see what works best for you.

+1  Personally I've found the sweet spot for mine at 4%

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.