cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does disputing an item add time onto when it will fall off?

tag
mripguru
New Contributor

Does disputing an item add time onto when it will fall off?

I have a Verizon Wireless account that was paid off back in 2011 (DoFD was 12/2007) - however, after disputing the item (since it was still showing as outstanding) - it looks like it's supposed to fall off on 12/2016 - 9 years from DoFD (not 7).

So, it looks like somewhere along the line - the clock got reset. Is there any way to fight this so that it will actually fall off at the end of 7 years like it's supposed to, and not add another 2 years?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Does disputing an item add time onto when it will fall off?

First, since the post deals with an OC account, credit report exclusion does not result in deletion of the account, it only pertains to the exclusion of individual, adverse items reported under the account.  What derogs were reported by the OC?

DOFD would only be relevant if the OC had reported a charge-off.  The only use of DOFD in credit reporting is to calculate the exclusion date of a reported charge-off or collection.  Since no collection is apparently reported, DOFD would only apply to any reported charge-off.

There is no such thing as a nine-year credit report exclusion peirod for any derogs reported by an OC.  Any charge-off has a date-certain exclusion date of 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD thar preceded the CO.  Any monthly delinquencies have an exclusion date of 7 years, which runs only from the date of that month deliquency.

Disputes wont afftect those exclusion dates, period.

As for whether to file a dispute, if the only issue is that the OC has not updated the debt to show that it was satisfied, filing a dispute would not be my first approach.

If the creditor is no longer attempting any collection, they most likely agree that the debt is satisfied, and just simply failed to update their reporting once the matter was resolved.  An informal call to them, reminding them of their obligation under FCRA 623(a)(2) to have promptly updated any reporting so as to maintain its current accuracy, would most likely resovle the matter.

By filing a dispute, you will get a pending dispute flag in your file, thus removing certain items from credit scoring until the dispute is resolved.

CRAs are notorious for not promptly removing pending dispute flags after resolution of a dispute.

I would reserve a dispute only if informal attempts dont get prompt results.

Message 2 of 8
mripguru
New Contributor

Hi Robert,

This may help clear things up:

Message 3 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not seeing an image on that, try again.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 8
mripguru
New Contributor

How's this:

http://note.io/1a2ctKa

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The date opened was 12/2007, not the DoFD. Did you become delinquent in Dec 2009?

Message 6 of 8
mripguru
New Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

The date opened was 12/2007, not the DoFD. Did you become delinquent in Dec 2009?

I will need to check -- but, I don't believe so.

Message 7 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have anything that proves the DOFD was before what they have it listed at?  If so, then you would do a direct dispute and send your documentation proving it.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.