cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having a car loan for only one month hurt or help me at all?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does having a car loan for only one month hurt or help me at all?

Hello All,

In Jan. Of 2006 I bought a car from Carmax who has a 7 day return policy on vehicles. I got financing and bought a vehicle and then 6 days later returned it and got another vehicle instead. When I swapped it, the car saleswoman rechecked for financing and found I could get a better rate now through Citibank versus what capitolone (the original financier) was offering. So I went ahead and went w/citi but even though I never made a single payment to cap1, they reported on my score just once in the month of Jan. As  "pays account as agreed" "paid satisfactorily" and "closed". Does this hurt or help my score in anyway?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does having a car loan for only one month hurt or help me at all?

The closed account should remain on your CR for 10 years as a good account. because you replaced the financing any loss in points should come back after they start reporting.

I lost 8 points for PIf an auto loan within the first year. I refied and regained the points.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.