cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it matter how you file a DV? Can it hurt you if you do it wrong?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it matter how you file a DV? Can it hurt you if you do it wrong?

I have a dipute letter to type up and everyone keeps saying to have a well thought out letter.  I am not well thought out on the whole credit report jargon but I am super anal retentive and want to know if this looks like something you would send:

I received a dunning letter on December 26 stating I have a debt.  I am disputing this debt.  Your file number is xxxxxxx.  Please send all information pertaining to this account to the same mailing address you sent dunning letter.  If I have not successfully disputed this debt I also rewuest that I am notified as to why and given enough time to respond properly.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does it matter how you file a DV? Can it hurt you if you do it wrong?

I would read this thread on the DV it gives lots of detail on this.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Debt-Validation/m-p/7133

DV does not hurt you but you would not contact them if its still within states SOL unless you have the ability to pay them in full because sometimes their response is a lawsuit..

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Does it matter how you file a DV? Can it hurt you if you do it wrong?

It is best to send certified mail, return receipt requested.

Sending of a DV is the one situation where you, the consumer, is under a statutory period to complete and action.

It is prudent to have proof of date sent in the event the debt collector holds your DV to be untimely.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.