cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it matter if a CC is reporting Secured?

tag
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

Does it matter if a CC is reporting Secured?

I will be getting a secured CC today thru my Credit Union....Does it report secured matter on the scoring aspect?

Cheryl

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
alexhortdog
Regular Contributor

Re: Does it matter if a CC is reporting Secured?

I don't believe it does in the long run.  The more important thing is your payment history and the length of time you had each account.

I've had a secured credit card for 6 months and just applied for a VA loan a week ago.  He said the only thing holding me up is the age of the accounts and the fact I don't have much moolah in my bank accounts.  The fact that it was a secured card never came up.

Starting Score: 605 (Experian); 588 (Equifax); 590 (TransUnion)
Current Score: 626 (Experian); 667 (Equifax); 670 (TransUnion)
Goal Score: 800

Message 2 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, it doesn't matter.  Most secured report as a regular CC anyway.  I've only seen one or two that report as secured.

Message 3 of 6
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

No, it doesn't matter.  Most secured report as a regular CC anyway.  I've only seen one or two that report as secured.

Is that normally different than with a secured loan? I had a secured loan with a CU a few years back and it reports as secured. Just last Friday .....since I need revolving credit applied and was approved for a secured CC with the same Credit Union...Of course...hoping to see a jump up in score when it finally hits my report.

Cheryl

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It depends on how the creditor reports it.  You can always ask them how it will report.  FICO wise it makes no difference.  The CC works the same as an unsecured.

Message 5 of 6
Milgal_302
Established Member

I have a secured card through Cap One and I don't believe they report it as secure. (But now I'm going to check to be sure). Regardless it doesn't seem to have hurt me in any way even if they do.

$1300 $2300 $1300 $3750 $650 $2900 $750
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.