cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does paying off old charge off help credit score?

Does paying off old charge off help credit score?

Does paying off old charged off accounts help a credit score?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Does paying off old charge off help credit score?

In many instances it can. If the OC is reporting a CO and it was revolving credit account, then that unpaid balance gets used in the UTI% portion of scoring.  Paying it off effectively reduces your UTI. The second way it can improve scores is if the OC is updating each month. Paying it stops the updating and allows the item to "age", which helps your scores, though not immediately like UTI.

Most Recent FICO 8 Scores EX601/TU580/EQ589 12/08/2017 Starting scores 553/485/543 08/25//2017
~~~Credit lines~~~~
SDFCU VISA Secured $250
Discover Secured $200
Message 2 of 5

UTI? OC? CO?  Sorry I am new Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 5

katie011 wrote:

Utl is utilization

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Guide-To-Common-Abbreviations/m-p/224988?jump...

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne
Message 4 of 5
Regular Contributor

katie011 wrote:

Urinary Tract Infection , Orange County, Colorado

UTI - Utilization

OC - Original Credit

CO - Charge Off

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Guide-To-Common-Abbreviations/td-p/224988

on another note this is very good information because I too have a charge off that is affecting my UTI

FICO 8 Scores as of 02/05/2017:
EQ 632 | TU 643 | EX 644
Open Revolving Credit lines and Limits:
Discover IT $1,000 | Walmart Store Card $3,500 | Amazon Prime Store Card $3,000 | BuyPower Card $500 | Credit One $1,050 | Cap1 QS1 $1,100 | Cap1 Platinum Secured $501 | Amex Everyday $1,000 | Amex Gold NPSL | HSN $1,800 | Overstock $1,550 | Kohls $700 | FingerHut $2,150
Message 5 of 5