cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does student loan late payments age off?

tag
gagirl82
Regular Contributor

Does student loan late payments age off?

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know if student loan late payments age off credit reports?  I was looking at my reports and I want to say it looks as though for every new month of payments reported  the oldest month gets bumped off.  Is this correct or do I just have wishful thinking lol?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Does student loan late payments age off?

Message 2 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the student loan was guaranteed or insured by the U.S. government, then the exclusion period is greater than 7 years.

There is a footnote appended to FCRA 605(a) referencing the extended exclusion periods, whcih references the Higher Education Act.

Check out the provisions of the Act for the specific periods.

Message 3 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, there is but they are normally removed at 7 years from what I have seen.

Except in my case where it stayed forever and once paid the entire TL was removed.

Message 4 of 13
pr0blumz
New Contributor

I thought that government funded student loans have no exclusion.
Message 5 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

In what respect are you referring to?

For mine they were on my report for way over 20 years.  I defaulted early on and eventually paid them off through offset and they were removed.

ETA:  The Higher Education Act decides how long defaulted loans will report.  This is directly from them:

(1) 7 years from the date on which the Secretary or the agency paid a claim to the holder on the guaranty;

(2) 7 years from the date the Secretary, guaranty agency, eligible lender, or subsequent holder first reported the account to the consumer reporting agency; or

(3) in the case of a borrower who reenters repayment after defaulting on a loan and subsequently goes into default on such loan, 7 years from the date the loan entered default such subsequent time.

Message 6 of 13
pr0blumz
New Contributor

Oh, I was referring to them aging off. They will remain on your report until it's paid.
Message 7 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 8 of 13
NeverBackDown

I thought I understood this, but now after reading these posts, I'm confused...

If someone made late payments (on a Sallie Mae student loan, for example) more than 7.0 years ago, the late payments do not fall off the CR's? 

Message 9 of 13
pr0blumz
New Contributor

Yes, they will.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.