Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this EVEN exist?

tag
mompreneur1
New Contributor

Does this EVEN exist?

Hello All!

I have a closed Macy's account (opened 11/03) with a balance of $262 that has surpassed SOL --still owned by OC w/ no CA reporting on my CR. My question is this....I don't exactly want to PFD as this is my oldest account on my CR (I'm not exactly a "credit veteran" you see..) However, I'd like to PIF (or negotiate w/ OC for a lower amount), re-open the account and/or erase negative history. I know it sounds a bit much but just wondering if this is even possible....anyone?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Does this EVEN exist?

I would contact the OC the account maybe paid off just not reported..  If not find out hte status of the account. I would advise you not to settle that is considered a major derogattory.   Offer to pay in full and work with them on a payment plan.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 6
mompreneur1
New Contributor

Thank you for your response. However, this is a closed collection account--definitely not yet paid off. My intentions are not to settle as I am aware of the adverse effect this may have on my CS but rather PIF (or negotiate a lesser amount) and start over with the OC. I'm sure there must be someway of achieving this....

Message 3 of 6
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@mompreneur1 wrote:

Hello All!

I have a closed Macy's account (opened 11/03) with a balance of $262 that has surpassed SOL --still owned by OC w/ no CA reporting on my CR. My question is this....I don't exactly want to PFD as this is my oldest account on my CR (I'm not exactly a "credit veteran" you see..) However, I'd like to PIF (or negotiate w/ OC for a lower amount), re-open the account and/or erase negative history. I know it sounds a bit much but just wondering if this is even possible....anyone?

What you want to do is ask for a GW (goodwill) adjustment on this account.  GW letters are all over this forum, just do a search.  You can offer to PIF and REQUEST the account be re-opened and the negative info be removed, they DO NOT have to agree.  You could offer to PIF in exchange for removing the negative info (but leaving the account closed).  You can offer multiple variations of a gw adjustment.  BUT, all you may be able to do is pif or settle for a lesser amount.  And as long is it reports as a "payment after a charge off" (whether pif or settled) it will still be a negative account. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 4 of 6
mompreneur1
New Contributor

Thank you kjm79! I will try a GW letter. However, just two questions...it is not a charge off, so if I PIF or negotiate the balance due, and the OC reports "Paid in full" will this reflect positively on my CR? Also just wondering if anyone knows which is better, to PFD or PIF your oldest collection account? Just trying to avoid setbacks throughout this extensive process!

Advice is much appreciated! Thank You!!! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

First find out the status of the account after that then determine a course of action.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.