Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this make sense?

tag
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

Does this make sense?

I have 2 CAP1 accounts (1 for $1800 set to come off Jan 2015 and 1 for $1500 set to come off December 2014) .  They will not PFD at all.  They have offered me 50% settlements on both accounts.  I am not in position to PIF but I can pay 50% to settle.

Since these are going to fall off shortly, would it be in my best interest to settle and let them fall off?

I would like a mortgage within 2 years so won't it look better settled instead of unpaid?

5/16/13 Starting FICOEQ: 521 FICOTU: 536 FICOEX: 571
5/13/14 Current FICOEQ: 668 FICOTU: 690 FICOEX: 673
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
cqdealer711
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does this make sense?

could always settle and then GW the EO office until they say yes  Smiley Wink

Starting FICO Score: 10/1/12--EQ 512 | TU 492 | EX 524
Current FICO Score: 2/22/14--EQ 705 | TU 703 | EX 716
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 23
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Settled or PIF alwys will be better than unpaid. It really depends on the underwriter if he will accept settled as to PIF. Did you pay the OC or a CA? 

Message 3 of 23
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

I haven't paid yet.  It is to the OC Capital 1...they have not sold it yet.

Message 4 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

Settled or PIF alwys will be better than unpaid. It really depends on the underwriter if he will accept settled as to PIF. Did you pay the OC or a CA? 

Once a debt is settled it is considered paid and the underwriter should not have a problem with that.  If he does I would get a different lender.

Message 5 of 23
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

OK, thanks! I will go ahead and settle...These are in marked as Charge-Offs...do You think if I settle, it will raise my score at all or would I have to wait for them to drop off to see an increase?

Message 6 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 23
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@sharriel wrote:

OK, thanks! I will go ahead and settle...These are in marked as Charge-Offs...do You think if I settle, it will raise my score at all or would I have to wait for them to drop off to see an increase?

When we settled my husbands FP CO CC they didn't report it as settled at first, they just reported it as a payment and his score jumped like 25 pts bc of his util going down, but once they reported it as settled/closed, he lost 30 pts... so you'll probably gain some pts if it's being factored into your util, but then lose some pts once it's closed. That was our experience anyway.

Message 8 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I don't think he should have lost points for the settlement.  Are you absolutely sure nothing else happened at the same time.

Message 9 of 23
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Yes i'm sure. It reported closed/settled and shortly after he lost 30 points. Nothing else was done to his credit, no inquiries, nothing added, no new accts. etc. just this card closing. But i've read in these forums a drop in score is common when cards are closed. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.