Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this matter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does this matter?

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

I agree with mauve, Send a C&D letter if you know its passed your states SOL.

Collections drop from a CR  anywhere from 7 to 7.5 yrs.IME,

I've had some  collections to drop off early, by just a few months.Smiley Wink

If has not been 7 years though, should i send C&D then? They could legally put it back on the CR if the DOFD is less than 7 years right?

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

I agree with mauve, Send a C&D letter if you know its passed your states SOL.

Collections drop from a CR  anywhere from 7 to 7.5 yrs.IME,

I've had some  collections to drop off early, by just a few months.Smiley Wink

If has not been 7 years though, should i send C&D then? They could legally put it back on the CR if the DOFD is less than 7 years right?

From the looks of your first post. You've got 2 different problems. First one being the bad check that the county prosecutor's office is listing with the county. Second is with portfolio?  Do a google search for sol on bad checks in the State the check was first written in.  The sol for bad checks isn't the same as for bad debt. Probably more like 1 or 2 years for the small amount you've  posted. If the bad checks are a $1000 or more it becomes a federal crime that has a sol of 5 years. Most bad checks use local collectors to collect ,because if they're not settled the local collectors will then turn the bad checks over to the county prosecutors office and come after you for check fraud/kiting ,whatever the case may be. Start  with a vaildation letter to the colllection company that reported the bad check. Be sure to ask them for a copy of the bad check along with a copy of the paid receipt. Do this through certified mail , that way if they don't respond  back to you, you'll have written documentation to dispute  the credit bureaus with. Lack of validation in a timely manner.  Your second problem is with portfolio. Most of the colllection agencies that people talk about on this forum don't deal with bad checks.They may if their over a $1000 and even if the bad check in question is in the same home state of the collection agency. You need to DV portfolio to see what debt their talking about and who the original creditor  is along with the amount . That way you'll know where to go from there . After you find out from portfolio about the alledged debt then you can send a C&D letter to them.  One thing you don't need is for these things to show up in the process of buying a house in 12 months. good luck.

Message 12 of 22
mauve
Valued Contributor

OP, do not worry about the check debt at all.  GW or ignore it.

Have you pulled her credit reports from annualcreditreport.com? 

If you haven't, please do so and see if you can figure out what PR wants from her.

If it's not appearing, send them a DV.  Only include her name and address, do not sign the letter, and do not respond to a request for additional identification.

Also, make sure that if you two haven't already that you both go to optoutprescreen.com and opt out.  This will keep CAs from casually finding out if you're paying off other items or getting mortgage inquiries.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhhh, you all are so smart!!! Okay, we both opted out already so good there. FWIW the checks were for school lunches that bounced (for the poster a few up.) That twice today that the site wouldn't let me quote. Anyways back on topic. I just looked through all her CR and the two bounced checks appear on all 3 CR. Weird thing though is they are all under slightly different names. EQ has the two collections under Global payments check recovery services inc, EX has them as global payment inc, and TU has checkrite recov svcs inc. Not sure if that even matters though. No other collections appear on any report. I'm assuming I should GW the collection agency and not fairfax county?

But on a interesting note Portfolio Recovery has pulled TU 3 times under the account review inquiries. They pulled 7,9, and 12 in 2010. Isn't this the bad inquiry section on TU's report? Is that even legal? And since we opted out can they still do that? Any reason why she shouldn't sign the DV letter?

So send them the DV as mauve said and then what? If they continue to try and contact I can do....? It's really not a big deal about the money. I would honestly pay them 300 bucks just to leave us alone and never try and refresh again but that's what they want huh!!!! 

And yet another wrinkle, Keybank last reported on 07/2005 on a car that we traded in long ago. The loan was open in 06/2000. Thing is she has 4 30 day lates on the account on TU, 3 30 day lates on EX, and 0 lates on EQ. Is it doing more good or bad since it is listed as her oldest account? Also both cars now are in my name only so she has no installment loans just revolving. Thanks all!

Message 14 of 22
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Good morning,

On her CR's, Does the CA show PAID for checks?   If so, send GW letters.

What is the dates to be removed for the CA's?

Existing credtior can pull your CR to see what your credit situation is. These soft Inquiries DO NOT affect your credit score.Yes its legal.

Yes send Portfolio Recovery a DV letter. to find out whoever the OC is.

On Keybank, This was a car loan? What are the dates listed as late?

She does have an installment loan with Keybank, its a car loan right?

Since EQ is showing no lates, it reporting as a Positive item on her CR...........And yes thats a good thing.Smiley Wink

Here's info about DV....http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Debt-Validation/m-p/7133

Also suggest reading What Steps Do I Take? DV? PFD?          Use the link below, if you wish.                                                        

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 15 of 22
mauve
Valued Contributor

I agree with Lightnin'. 

That car loan is probably helping you more than hurting you - I would probably leave it alone, personally.  It should stay on her report for 10 years after it closed, i.e., was paid off.  The lates should fall off at 7 years from their individual delinquencies.  Also, since her score is pretty decent, I don't think her score is something to worry about - it really sounds like you have pretty much everything under control.  

For inquiries, there's a soft pull and a hard pull section - monitoring services don't always list the soft pulls.  I'm assuming you're looking at the full report.  On full reports, there's a section called "Inquiries shared with others" and another called "Inquiries shared only with you" (or some such).  The "shared with others" is hard pulls, the "shared with you" is soft pulls.  Hard pulls can affect her score, the soft cannot.

Message 16 of 22
mauve
Valued Contributor

1) Does TU report a different address for the CA as well as a different name?  I'd GW each address appearing on the reports for this.

2) Don't sign any correspondence with a CA - it isn't typical, but i has happened that they have taken a signature and with a little graphic magic attached it to a letter you haven't signed...which you wouldn't have signed.

3) If they respond to your DV with information about an account that she really does owe on and the amount doesn't seem to be really inflated, I'd offer to pay-to-not-report.  When you send your DV, you might want to modify the language a little.  I'd search these forums for what to do about unauthorized inquiries.  It's not something I'm super familiar with, but perhaps that's a different (and better) direction to go with this CA. 

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

Good morning,

On her CR's, Does the CA show PAID for checks?   If so, send GW letters.

What is the dates to be removed for the CA's?

Existing credtior can pull your CR to see what your credit situation is. These soft Inquiries DO NOT affect your credit score.Yes its legal.

Yes send Portfolio Recovery a DV letter. to find out whoever the OC is.

On Keybank, This was a car loan? What are the dates listed as late?

She does have an installment loan with Keybank, its a car loan right?

Since EQ is showing no lates, it reporting as a Positive item on her CR...........And yes thats a good thing.Smiley Wink

Here's info about DV....http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Debt-Validation/m-p/7133

Also suggest reading What Steps Do I Take? DV? PFD?          Use the link below, if you wish.                                                        

Yes, all the CRs report the collections as paid. I think I will get her to GW them since they fall off 7/11 and 11/11 and by 11/11 we should home buying. I don't think it is making much if any impact on her fico though but will see when they fall off.

How can PR be an existing creditor when they aren't showing on a report? I was confused on the soft/hard inq because on the TU CR there is "Promotional Inq" and "Account Review Inq" and PR is showing under "Account Review Inq"

Key bank was a car loan that has been paid off. The last 30 late was 4/05. She now has no installment/car loans with anyone now. 

Is there really a point to DV PR? They are not reporting anything to anyone and likely cannot do to the fact it is probably been 7 years from DFOD. I mean sure they are annoying but if I laugh at the mail and block every number they call from will it ever matter?

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mauve wrote:

1) Does TU report a different address for the CA as well as a different name?  I'd GW each address appearing on the reports for this.

2) Don't sign any correspondence with a CA - it isn't typical, but i has happened that they have taken a signature and with a little graphic magic attached it to a letter you haven't signed...which you wouldn't have signed.

3) If they respond to your DV with information about an account that she really does owe on and the amount doesn't seem to be really inflated, I'd offer to pay-to-not-report.  When you send your DV, you might want to modify the language a little.  I'd search these forums for what to do about unauthorized inquiries.  It's not something I'm super familiar with, but perhaps that's a different (and better) direction to go with this CA. 

Yes, there are two different addresses between the 3 CR. I will send GW to both addresses.

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mauve wrote:

So it sounds like it's more of a "we don't have paperwork for this, she may be mistaken" situation than a "she's not upfront about this" situation.  That's better.

In any case, if PR is still harrassing her, I'd send them a C&D letter, especially if you're positive it's past the credit reporting time period. 

If she hasn't already, ask her to opt out at optoutprescreen.com

What will opting out actually accomplish in this situation? Thanks!!

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.