cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doesn't paying off collections help ur score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Doesn't paying off collections help ur score?

How did you get deleted?
Message 81 of 168
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

I am new to the system. I have a lot of questions.What is PFD?   How do you request for a collection account  to be deleted? What is the difference in collection and charge-off?

Thank you.

Mema

Message 82 of 168
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

shadowbox2 wrote:

Hello.

I am new to the system. I have a lot of questions.What is PFD?   How do you request for a collection account  to be deleted? What is the difference in collection and charge-off?

Thank you.

Mema

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

and What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

The word "collection" is a generic term. A CA is more specific and is a company that collects on behalf of an OC. Prior to going to a CA, the OC will often CO an account. CAs can't CO an account.

Message 83 of 168
Anonymous
Not applicable

what is a pdf ?
Message 84 of 168
Anonymous
Not applicable

what is a pfd ?
Message 85 of 168
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

PFD means pay for delete. It means if you have an acct in collections and lets say you owe $500 and its reporting on your credit report. You can offer to PFD so that when you pay off the acct in full they will delete the collection acct from your credit report which will make your credit score increase.

Remember always get it in writing first b 4 you pay a dime and remember that if you pay off a collection acct but they only update it on your credit report instead of deleting it will not help you.It may hurt you because it will reage the acct.

Message 86 of 168
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

PFD = Pay for Delete

PFD Example Letter

Frequently Requested Threads
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 87 of 168
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I am understanding the PFD process correctly.  Can this ever be used to delete entries that have already been paid?  I had three medical bills sent to collections ($600, $400, and $85) that I have now paid in full.  Had I known about pfd, I would have attempted this process.  Can anything be done to remove the items from my credit reports now?  

Thanks!

Message 88 of 168
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

DianeL wrote:

I think I am understanding the PFD process correctly.  Can this ever be used to delete entries that have already been paid?  I had three medical bills sent to collections ($600, $400, and $85) that I have now paid in full.  Had I known about pfd, I would have attempted this process.  Can anything be done to remove the items from my credit reports now?  

Thanks!

I'm no expert on this topic, but being medical, consider the HIPAA process. There's a link stickied somewhere.

Otherwise, if it wasn't medical, a GW letter would be the proper course of action. A PFD applied to an OC/CA that still shows a balance. However, GWing this CA would give up your rights under HIPAA.
Message 89 of 168
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  I have read all the information on both PFD and the HIPAA process.  My new question is:

I had a $2500 medical bill sent to a CA seven months ago.  I have not paid anything on this bill, nor set up any payment plans with OC or CA.  Since it is medical, I believe I have two options: 

Should I attempt the PFD process and offer to PIF only in exchange for getting it removed from my CR? 

or Should I pay the bill normally and then attempt the HIPAA process after it is paid off? 

Which of these options is better in this situation?  Which process has the higher success rate? 

Message 90 of 168
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.