Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing everything right and still no love..I'm done

tag
dledo
New Contributor

Doing everything right and still no love..I'm done

Clearing up my baddies.....no baddies at all on TU and 1 paid collection that will fall off at months end....got rid of 2 cards (credit one and wells fargo secured)  never 1 missed payment on credit cards.  And cant get CLI's, or better cards or anything better.  I' stuck in subprime card land for some reason.....may as well have fun and run em all up and say heck with it.  I've worked very hard to better my credit situation and fells like I'm running in place.  Sorry for the rant...Just how I'm feeling.......

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Doing everything right and still no love..I'm done

Credit scores are based mostly on CURRENT revolving accounts. Closing those two accounts is akin to shooting yourself in the foot. All you did was make it harder. Without any current accounts, your scores have zero chance of improving.

Message 2 of 14
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

Is there are reason you got rid of the credit cards you had?   Paying off debt is a good thing,  but you have to have some type of credit card (whether secured or unsecured) to start building your credit...

Don't give up..there is light at the end of the tunnel :-)

Current FICO 08 as of 06/01/2015 TU 648 EQ 624 EX 602
FICO Mortgage Scores TU 594 EQ 540 EX 642

Message 3 of 14
dledo
New Contributor

Yes, they were closed on the advice given by a senior member here.  Credit one cause of its annual feel, and wells fargo being secured.  I just did them an hour ago so those had no bearing on any SP's seeing that they would not have been updated.  My current UTI is 3 %

Message 4 of 14
dledo
New Contributor

Also I still have  3 bank cards and 3 store cards and an open car loand...all paid perfect

Message 5 of 14
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Don't give up....this is a marathon, not a race!

I know how you feel.  I have 11 yr old Cap1 card that is still $500 and the luv button has gotten me nothing.  I would go to the the prequal sites and always get "Sorry, no offers for you!"  I didn't get my first offer until my EX FICO hit 702.... and it was not a likely approval d/t the interest spread being from lowest to highest and no opt out notice at the bottom... Smiley Sad

Finally paid off a bit over $25K in revolving debt, and score jumped to 739 and I got prequals from Chase @ 22.9%, Cap1 QS & Venture @ 17.9%, Discover it @ 12.99-15.99%, BoA 10 -20.99%....no on CITI and AMEX.... 

It took me from Feb 2014 to now (Apr 2015) to get from 472 to 739.  I am looking forward to getting the CCs, but I want better interest rates on some of those....

Patience, grasshopper! 

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dledo wrote:

Clearing up my baddies.....no baddies at all on TU and 1 paid collection that will fall off at months end....got rid of 2 cards (credit one and wells fargo secured)  never 1 missed payment on credit cards.  And cant get CLI's, or better cards or anything better.  I' stuck in subprime card land for some reason.....may as well have fun and run em all up and say heck with it.  I've worked very hard to better my credit situation and fells like I'm running in place.  Sorry for the rant...Just how I'm feeling.......

It's definitely a process that has its ups and downs. 

How long have you been repairing? What are your current scores? The damage wasn't done overnight, nor will it be undone overnight. It's possible you have some items you don't realize supressing your score. 

Also, of your remaining tradelines, which look to be a decent mix, how long have they been open, and how have you been using them? If they've been open less than 6 months, and you're putting minimal spends on them (like, under 5% of the CL) then you likely don't have enough history with them, plus you're not even using the credit you've got, so why do you need more? Give them a few months, spend and pay down, spend and pay down, a couple of times a month. Put what you would normally debit or send checks out for to show higher usage on the cards, to help show you can justify higher limits. If you can't do it with all 3 bankcards at once, then pick one and focus on it for 3-4 months, then try a CLI, then move onto the next. Also remember, some lenders have specific time limits before you can request CLIs. 

You'll get there eventually! You've got this!

Message 7 of 14
dledo
New Contributor

I have had these cards for over a year now, I Use all the cards anywhere between 30-75 percent usage but pay them off.  My mix is good I think and my scores as of now are EQ - 626  TU - 623  EX - 622.  Been working on this since last Feb.  I know I'll keep working at it, just a frustrating day today.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dledo wrote:

Also I still have  3 bank cards and 3 store cards and an open car loand...all paid perfect

Whew... I thought they were your only accounts.  Ok, you're still good.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had these cards for over a year now, I Use all the cards anywhere between 30-75 percent usage but pay them off.  My mix is good I think and my scores as of now are EQ - 626  TU - 623  EX - 622.  Been working on this since last Feb.  I know I'll keep working at it, just a frustrating day today.

Well you're doing better than I am - I'm 616/597/555... So there's that.

You're doing fine, you've gotten your reports cleaned up now its time to just sit back and garden. This is maybe the hardest part of this game - sitting back and waiting for scores to rise. Its a slow process but you are on the right road. Are you making sure just one card reports a small balance and the others report $0?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.