Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't even know where to start....

tag
sweetsha98
New Visitor

Don't even know where to start....

Please help!  

My husband and I were over out heads financially....that coupled with a few layoffs and stop payments on things our credit is HORRIBLE (high 400s).  We want to start to fix this.  Where do we start?  We figured we start with me since I don't have much CC debt.  I do have school loan debt that I haven't been paying on as well :-(.  I got my credit report and score through here.  What's next?  Calling the creditors and making deals?  Sending letters verifying that the debt is mine (i know most is).  What about the school loans?  I'm so overwhelmed.  I just wanna to fix this?  Will paying off everything REALLY help my score?  

Seriously thank you for ANY help that anyone can give

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Don't even know where to start....

Welcome to the forums.

I would recommend that you begin by reading the stickies!  Take notes!  Ask questions!

Are your school loans delinquent?   You said you're not paying on them currently. 

There is no quick fix to repairing credit.  It's time consuming, it's work, it's confusing, and it's frustrating!  However, if you are prepared to buckle down, cut expenses to the BONE to get on top of this.....time will help heal the wrongs.  Be prepared to be in this for the long haul. 

Lots of good and solid advice here.

Message 2 of 3
suzeeh
Established Member

Re: Don't even know where to start....

First take a deep breath.   It's going to take some time, so don't get discouraged.  I would advise making a spreadsheet and writing down all the places you owe, account number, amount owed, interest rate so you know exactly where you are.  Read all the info on this board.  I have made it a game.  I started out with a 525 credit score when I first got on this board and it's now up to 689.  Realize you're going to have to cut back in your family budget in order to pay off these debts.  If you don't have a budget, you'll have to make and agree on one.  You both have to be on the same page.  I just can't say enough on how all the people on here have helped me and they will you.  Wishing you all the best on this venture.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.