Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't know what to do now

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't know what to do now

Hi Everyone, 

I have been doing researching for about a month on how to improve my credit score. In the last month I have paid off one collection (which was completely deleted off my credit report) and paid off around $2,500 in credit card balances. I pulled my credit report and my score boosted almost 30 points. On April 21 I pulled my credit report and my experian report showed a credit score of 653. That same day I applied for the American Express Everyday and they denied me and stated my credit score was a 632. Since then I was able to receive a CLI of $500 between my two capital one cards. My current card balances are the following: 

Synchrony Rooms to Go: balance of $3300 with a $4,000 limit

Capital One:Balance of $0 with a $750 limit

Capital One Quicksilver: $balance of $500 with a $1750 limit

Chase Slate: Balance of $2400 with a $2900 limit

Bank of America: balance of $500 with a $2700 limit

Should I call American Express and appeal? or should I hold off and try to bring my balances down

Credit scores as of 04/21/2015- EQ: 675 EX: 653 TU: 675 - i know these scores have gone up because they are not showing $2000 of credit card balances I have paid. 

i hope to hear back soon... thank you! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Re: Don't know what to do now

Paying down balances is the fastest way I've raised my scores.

Do you have other collections listed for possible PFD/GW deletion requests?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one 60 day late but it will make 7 years this September. Should I go through the hassle of a GW letter? It was for COMENITY BANK/EXPRESS. I also have another 90 day late from bank of america which will make 7 years in 2017. I am still paying off that account and on the memo it states "closed by credit grantor"

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, one of my noted why I was declined for the Amex was "there are too few account currently paid as agreed". Two of my accounts are noted as paid late out of my total of 9 accounts reporting to my credit report. I was thinking of maybe applying for a store card to boost my utilization and have more accounts with good standings... on my stimulator it says a new credit card would boost my score... what do you guys think? 

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would get the balances down on all cards to below 30%, and preferably below 10%, and while also waiting for the 60-late to become excluded, giving a clear payment history.

Obtaning a new card would not asppear to be time-critical, so taking those two stteps would clearly be advantageous.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have one 60 day late but it will make 7 years this September. Should I go through the hassle of a GW letter? It was for COMENITY BANK/EXPRESS. I also have another 90 day late from bank of america which will make 7 years in 2017. I am still paying off that account and on the memo it states "closed by credit grantor"

For Comenity, Send a GW message via their secure message center on their website, takes 5 minutes. for BofA send email to their CEO (google it), you will get a call from the EO (although I tried with BofA and had 0 luck...)

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.