Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dont know how to fix. HELP PLEASE!

tag
firstladyd
Contributor

Dont know how to fix. HELP PLEASE!

Hi community. I need a little help please. My hard luck story is I moved in July this year to an all bills paid apartment and turned electric company account off as I no longer needed them. I was in a car accident late July. Not a very bad accident but was little hurt and a lot shook up. Ff to beginning of October, finally got around to cleaning out my car and found unmailed check for final bill to electric company. I put it in the mail immediately. A week later I checked my mail at the apartment ( I never do this because I receive all mail at a PO box) and found a collection letter for electric bill from CA. I checked my bank account and check cleared. I called CA to inform them. They wanted me to prove I paid it by copy of check. I did not comply to request because I don't want them having my account info. I called Oc and they said they would pull file from ca. I had applied for amex a few days prior and got further review notice. Now I know why. I sent a DV letter on Monday just to cover bases and asked for info to immediately be removed from cr. Got a call from CA today. I explained it is not my responsibility to show proof of payment but theirs to show that I in fact owe . They said they are reporting to credit bureau tomorrow. I called Oc and they said yes paid but nothing they can do about CA. Is this true?? Yes the account was paid 85 days late but it is paid and I do not owe. What should I do? I want this off my report now!! I've already been denied credit because of it. I have been building credit for 3 years and all my work is being flushed down the drain. If the of had given me a courtesy call they would have been paid immediately. The day of the car accident that was one of the errands I was running, mail, and that check to pay that bill was just lost in the car all that time. So sucks right now please help!!!

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU 734 Walmart EQ 704 FICO EX 721
Goal Score: 750 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dont know how to fix. HELP PLEASE!

Unless the OC has an agreement with the CA for them not to report, then the CA can report. A DV was a good first step. My #1 goal would be to get it off, so I'd do whatever it takes. I personally would mail a copy of the cancelled payment with the acct number and ABA number censored, but I would await for their reply to the DV first. In all likelihood they'll delete upon receiving the DV (not immediately but soonthereafter). 

Message 2 of 7
firstladyd
Contributor

So its just waiting game for now?  Burns me up that I got a decline from of all the creditors in world Amex. I would really enjoy suing them for that.  Just a courtesy call would have gotten them their $$. Just an oversight due to car accident ya know Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Always get into a practice of pulling all 3 reports the day you plan to app for something. That way if there is something reporting, you'll know about it and save an inquiry. 

Yep, waiting game.

Message 4 of 7
firstladyd
Contributor

I pulled my TU & EQ but dont have subscription for EX the one they pulled.  Lesson learned the hard way. Thanks.Woman Sad

Message 5 of 7
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

I would rather foleder all the proof of car accident and payment and days anything related to collection...........and also I think they do notify you collection noticed letter and had 30 days to disputed it.........Call the Electric company and explain the car accident  and ask them if they can do something......if they can't then call the CA and ask for their supervisor...........good luckgood luck

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 7
firstladyd
Contributor

The CA letter only lists creditor and to pay. No where on the letter is what to do if I want to dispute. Plus the address they mailed is not where I receive any mail but I did catch it before 30 days up of first notice. They are reporting that CA took account in August but 1st notice to me dated October 12. The final bill was due to oc July 27.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.