Regular Contributor
EDub357

Double Negatives

My TU report is reporting an account charged off from a utility company and that same account is reporting from a CA.  Can this same debt be reported by 2 different collectors with a balance showing on both?  I've already disputed, so now what can I do? 

guiness56

Re: Double Negatives

Yes, the OC can list their account and the CA collecting for them can list theirs.  If the OC owns the debt both of them can show a balance.  If the OC sold the debt they would need to show a 0 balance.

Does it say transferred/sold on the OC account?

Regular Contributor
EDub357

OC shows charged off on report. 

guiness56

I know.  If it doesn't say transferred/sold they still own it.  If you contact them to pay it, see if they will recall the debt from the CA.  The CA would have to delete.

jsk0307

I have a similar situation and was hoping for some advice.  I had a Salute VIsa card opened back in 08/2007.  The account is reported as closed in 11/2008.  The status says the account was charged off and shows a balance of $472.  The remarks say :  Account closed by consumer; Closed by credit grantor; >Unpaid balance charged off<

Further on down in my report I have another item from a CA which references the same Salute account #.  This item reports that it is in collections.  Original amount was $660 and the balance is now $923. 

Both items show that they will be removed sometime in 2016.  If anyone has advice on how I should approach this I'd greatly appreciate it.  If I should contact the CA, would it be better to pay the full amount or try to settle for a lesser amount?  I believe I only had a 400 or 500 credit limit on the card.  So it looks like the CA has added fees and/or interest.

Starting Score: 566
Current Score: 610
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Shogun

Since the OC is still showing a balance, they would still own the debt and the CA is just assigned collection.  This account is old, is it past the SOL of your state?  I would contact the OC and make a settlement offer on it, that way the CA would have to delete.

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+