Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Negatives

tag
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

Double Negatives

My TU report is reporting an account charged off from a utility company and that same account is reporting from a CA.  Can this same debt be reported by 2 different collectors with a balance showing on both?  I've already disputed, so now what can I do? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Double Negatives

Yes, the OC can list their account and the CA collecting for them can list theirs.  If the OC owns the debt both of them can show a balance.  If the OC sold the debt they would need to show a 0 balance.

Does it say transferred/sold on the OC account?

Message 2 of 6
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

OC shows charged off on report. 

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I know.  If it doesn't say transferred/sold they still own it.  If you contact them to pay it, see if they will recall the debt from the CA.  The CA would have to delete.

Message 4 of 6
jsk0307
New Contributor

I have a similar situation and was hoping for some advice.  I had a Salute VIsa card opened back in 08/2007.  The account is reported as closed in 11/2008.  The status says the account was charged off and shows a balance of $472.  The remarks say :  Account closed by consumer; Closed by credit grantor; >Unpaid balance charged off<

Further on down in my report I have another item from a CA which references the same Salute account #.  This item reports that it is in collections.  Original amount was $660 and the balance is now $923. 

Both items show that they will be removed sometime in 2016.  If anyone has advice on how I should approach this I'd greatly appreciate it.  If I should contact the CA, would it be better to pay the full amount or try to settle for a lesser amount?  I believe I only had a 400 or 500 credit limit on the card.  So it looks like the CA has added fees and/or interest.

Starting Score: 566
Current Score: 707
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Since the OC is still showing a balance, they would still own the debt and the CA is just assigned collection.  This account is old, is it past the SOL of your state?  I would contact the OC and make a settlement offer on it, that way the CA would have to delete.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.