Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double reported account. What to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double reported account. What to do?

I am looking at my 3 reports on scorewatch.  I believe there is an account double reported.  Earlier this year I paid a CA (Consumer Adjustment Co) for an old utility bill.  There is an entry under account number 4766** on EX & EQ showing the amount of $158 paid in full.  There is a second entry on TU and EQ from CAC for $158 that show the balance is unpaid and derogatory.  It is account no. 716704****.

Should I send a standard DV letter or just send them a letter explaining that I believe they double reported the debt under 2 different account numbers?  Or should I ask them to DV under 809 and explain that I believe they double reported.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Double reported account. What to do?

If you are positive you only had that one utility account go into collection I would file a dispute with the CRAs.  I would fax something or mail something with your dispute, a copy of your verification of payment and any letter the CA provided you stating that the account has been resolved with your payment.

I find that when I fax TU I get a pretty quick response.  I faxed them something on July 31, and they sent me a letter on August 3 in regards to my faxed letter.

Message 2 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would be careful disputing with the CRAs because it is showing 2 different account numbers.  Chances are it will come back verified.

Send the CA a DV letter and see what happens.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I send the DV letter should I state in it that I think the account was reported under 2 different acct numbers?
Message Edited by alieh on 08-13-2009 05:11 AM
Message 4 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, just send it using the account number for the one not paid.  If they can not validate they have to delete.  If it comes back verified they have to send information on the account like who the OC was and the amount owed.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There is an entry under account number 4766** on EX & EQ showing the amount of $158 paid in full.  There is a second entry on TU and EQ from CAC for $158 that show the balance is unpaid and derogatory.  It is account no. 716704****.

I'm just putting this out there, do with it what you will, but are you sure it isn't the same account no. just different portions of it.  For instance let's say my account no. is 123456789.  One CR reports my account no. as 12345**** and the other reports it as 4567** - both are the same account just listed differently.  Even if that is the case, it still should NOT be double reported.  Like I said just throwing the info out there although I am thinking I may have confused you more . . . Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That totally makes sense.  You may be right.  I sent a DV letter CMRRR yesterday.  We'll see what happens.  It is reported twice on equifax though.  I know with 100% certainty that this is a double report.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That totally makes sense.  You may be right.  I sent a DV letter CMRRR yesterday.  We'll see what happens.  It is reported twice on equifax though.  I know with 100% certainty that this is a double report.

Do you have an old statement or perhaps a letter from the CA showing the full account number?  I would check it against the number being reported on your CRs.  If in fact it is 2 different portions of the same account number I would attempt to dispute with the CRAs.  I would submit a dispute stating that we all know CRAs report different portions of a consumer's account no. and you are quite certain a collection account you have settled is being double reported because of this.  And that you have included a verification document highlighting (circle the two different portions) proof of this.  These two accounts are in fact one in the same and this account has been SETTLED.  Therefore I am requesting you remove the (Name the Collection Agency) TL, listing account no. (123456****)  as in collections for the reasons I have listed above . . . something to that effect Smiley Tongue

The only reason I would say to try this is because it is my understanding a CA doesn't have to respond to a DV if it has been more than 30 days since they sent you your first dunning notice (unless you live in Texas)  . . . I could be wrong but from reading these threads and researching that is my understanding.

Goodluck! Let me know how it turns out Smiley Happy

Message Edited by FICOmeThis on 08-14-2009 02:12 PM
Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

As you said, do what you will with it but, it is listed under 2 separate accounts for the same CA with EQ.  That is why I said send a DV letter.  If it is the same account they will delete it, if it is something different they will either validate or delete it because they can not validate.

If you are 100% certain it is a double posting, then dispute it.

Message 9 of 10
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

OP, send out 2 DVs. Or request validation for both the a/cs in your single DV. Among other things, the CA would have to provide you the account numbers as well in their validation which will help you sort this out.

If you do not receive any response for a while, say a month or more, send out another DV and follow that up with a CRA dispute when you receive your greencards back. Dispute in writing with all supporting documentation. State in the dispute that you are disputing duplicacy of the accounts. Write as if you were to a 6 year old.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.