Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double reporting!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double reporting!

What can I do about this! I have US Cellular double reported on my experian! The reported 2 different balances for the same account! Is this even legal? They just recently sent me a settlement letter, I was going to except it; however since they have double reported I don't know what I want to to do  nor what I should! Can some of you that have been around for awhile help me? Thank you in advance for your help!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Double reporting!

ccats704 wrote:
What can I do about this! I have US Cellular double reported on my experian! The reported 2 different balances for the same account! Is this even legal? They just recently sent me a settlement letter, I was going to except it; however since they have double reported I don't know what I want to to do  nor what I should! Can some of you that have been around for awhile help me? Thank you in advance for your help!

Who is reporting it double? The OC? The same CA? The OC and the CA? Two different CAs?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

More info please,

If the OC assigned or sold the debt to a CA they BOTH can report it, BUT the OC MUST report all 0 balances.

IF the OC is reporting balances you can send them a VERIFICATION letter, not a DV.
Usually when they pull up your account they realize that you slipped through the crack and then update your account with the CRA as sold/transferred/paid, status may still say CO OR paid after collection/charge off. Your payment history will remain until it drops off automatically.

Now for the CA, send them a DV if the debt is old enough and luck is on your side they won't have any ifno to validate and MUST remove it from your CR.

Since they sent you a dunning letter, answer it with a DV, you do not want to know, where you live, you know where you live, and you know your SS#.

You want statements proving the balance of the debt and how they arrived at the now balance they are trying to collect. You also want PROOF that they are liscensed to collect that debt in your state.

Message Edited by Cookie4253 on 05-24-2008 09:17 AM
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cookie4253 wrote:
More info please,

If the OC assigned or sold the debt to a CA they BOTH can report it, BUT the OC MUST report all 0 balances.

If the OC just assigned the debt to the CA to collect for them, they do not have to report a $0 balance. You still owe the OC, no matter who is collecting it, until the OC sells the account.

IF the OC is reporting balances you can send them a VERIFICATION letter, not a DV.
Usually when they pull up your account they realize that you slipped through the crack and then update your account with the CRA as sold/transferred/paid, status may still say CO OR paid after collection/charge off. Your payment history will remain until it drops off automatically.

Now for the CA, send them a DV if the debt is old enough and luck is on your side they won't have any ifno to validate and MUST remove it from your CR.

Since they sent you a dunning letter, answer it with a DV, you do not want to know, where you live, you know where you live, and you know your SS#.

You want statements proving the balance of the debt and how they arrived at the now balance they are trying to collect. You also want PROOF that they are liscensed to collect that debt in your state.

Message Edited by Cookie4253 on 05-24-2008 09:17 AM

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the OC just assigned the debt to the CA to collect for them, they do not have to report a $0 balance. You still owe the OC, no matter who is collecting it, until the OC sells the account.

In most instances they will update the account to 0 balances and let someone else do their "dirty Work"

Now I find it odd that on 3 different accounts after a Verification letter they removed all balances that all 3 made the same error. Not likely.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cookie4253 wrote:
In most instances they will update the account to 0 balances and let someone else do their "dirty Work"

Now I find it odd that on 3 different accounts after a Verification letter they removed all balances that all 3 made the same error. Not likely.

3 different accounts? Do you mean you sent 3 different accounts a verification letter and they removed the balances?

Some OC's may have a policy to report $0 balance, the accounts may have been sold to the CA, many reasons for why they each reported a $0 balance.

They could have all reported for a different reason.

But, until the OC sells your account, you still have a balance with them that you owe.

When they assign the debt, then all they do is say "XXXX owes me $X, here is the account, collect it for me and I'll pay you $X"

When they sell the debt, then they say, "XXXX owes me $X, pay me $X and you can become owner of the account and XXXX will owe you $X and owe me $0.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

YES I sent out 3 different verification letters to 3 different OC's all the verifications came back in black and white stating that so and so was ASSIGNED to collect the debt and to contact them about it.

With out further information from the OP they will not get a answer that pertainsto their situation, I am telling you MY experiences and and what I have in writting.

OP can you please post exactly WHO is reporting twice on your report so WE can help YOU with your situation?
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cookie4253 wrote:
YES I sent out 3 different verification letters to 3 different OC's all the verifications came back in black and white stating that so and so was ASSIGNED to collect the debt and to contact them about it.

With out further information from the OP they will not get a answer that pertainsto their situation, I am telling you MY experiences and and what I have in writting.

OP can you please post exactly WHO is reporting twice on your report so WE can help YOU with your situation?

ok, ok, ok.......I wasn't sure where the 3 accounts was coming from.......was asking if you were talking about your accounts, because the OP didn't mention 3 accounts.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.