Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double whammy

tag
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Double whammy

My wife had a charged-off from Capital One in 2009.  The CA is Portfolio, who I am sending GW to their website and fax.  It just seem unfair (I know it is her responsibility to pay on time) that she is getting seriously dinged from Cap1, as well as the paid collection from Portfolio for Cap1.  What should my course of action be?  I doubt if Cap1 will change or budge...

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Double whammy

@birjest wrote:

My wife had a charged-off from Capital One in 2009.  The CA is Portfolio, who I am sending GW to their website and fax.  It just seem unfair (I know it is her responsibility to pay on time) that she is getting seriously dinged from Cap1, as well as the paid collection from Portfolio for Cap1.  What should my course of action be?  I doubt if Cap1 will change or budge...

PRA will probably GW remove... I had luck with them doing the same thing as you are doing..

As far as unfair, I think most people think its unfair to get hit 2 times for one debt, but thems are the breaks in this whole credit game..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 4
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Scott-  You are right.  I shouldn't use "unfair" (sound childish...Smiley Frustrated  However, it was YOU that made me push my wife to get the documents in order for me to GW.  I had success with CBE, CHASE, Mil Star, and Sears.  I figure, "what do my wife have to loose."  Just last week, she had a collection from Cypress.  Doctor on Duty and Tricare never process her bill and I was ticked at Tricare.  I called Cypress to explain that we transferred from Monterey to FL and did not received any notice or inclination that this bill was not settle.  I opted to PFD, but the collection agent informed me that this was clearly not our fault, I paid the bill ($210) and in two days, the collection was removed from all three of my wife report.

So, I do hope that PR will follow suit.  If not, I will GW again!!!!

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 3 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It can get worse than just two negative accounts for the same debt.   When a collection is resold to another CA they might add it to your report as well which would result in 2 CAs and the original OC account reporting negatively.     Actually it can get even worser if you are sued and then a judgement gets added.... Smiley Sad

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.