Valued Contributor

Draft Sallie Mae GW Ltr - Please review

June 11, 2012

Sallie Mae

Attn: Servicing Department

Sent via Facsimile: 1-800-848-1949

Re: Account No. xxxxxxxxxx – Goodwill Request

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been a loyal member and supporter of Sallie Mae for over a decade.  My original student loans for undergraduate and graduate schools were through your company.  When I elected to obtain a legal degree I again choose Sallie Mae as my student loan provider.  This was based on the fantastic customer service that I had received from your company previously.  Furthermore, I consolidated my loans with Sallie Mae for the same reason.  It is not rhetoric for me to say that my current level of professional success is partly owed to Sallie Mae for giving me the financial backing needed to pursue my goals.  For this I thank you.

Unfortunately, life and longstanding relationships are not always perfect.  Misunderstandings on my part have created lapses in fulfillment of my obligations to you.  As you will note in the attached copy of my Equifax Credit report, I have fallen short of my responsibilities in July 2011, November 2007, December 2010 and January 2006.  These shortcomings constitute two ninety (90) day flags and two thirty (30) day flags, respectively. 

Since I did not fully comprehend the differences between my different loan types, I assumed that my previous payment arrangements covered payments for all my loans.  However, on a couple occasions, this misunderstanding has resulted in me paying one loan while neglecting the other.  This was not intentional and was the result of my failure to properly communicate my intentions to have all loans paid with your staff.

Currently, I am in the process of investigating refinancing options for my home mortgage.  Upon reviewing my credit reports and investigating my options, I realized just how detrimental my late payments are on my credit rating, in particular my FICO score.  This effect is even more pronounced in that mortgage rates are at an all-time low.  My failings in regards to my obligations to you will result in thousands of dollars in increased mortgage payments.

These late payments will eventually fade from my credit reports but the once in a lifetime opportunity to secure a mortgage at historically low rates will probably be gone forever by the time this occurs. I am requesting that you forgive my past transgressions and allow me another opportunity to obtain at a positive credit rating in order to secure refinancing for my home.  Please delete the four late periods from my three (3) major credit bureau files (Transunion, Equifax and Experian).  I appreciate your time and consideration and remain ever hopeful that my letter will garner your goodwill.

As always I remain,

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxx, Esq.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Draft Sallie Mae GW Ltr - Please review

I've noticed some typos I need to correct. Anyone have some comments on this draft related to it's substance?

Message 2 of 5
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I want to send out this letter in next couple hours...anyone have any feedback?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm new to the boards and I searched for sample goodwill letters to Sallie Mae because I need to do the same.  Would you mind telling me if they responded to your letter? 

I really like how you emphasized that you were a longstanding customer and how grateful you were for their assistance.  I'm wondering if they were at all receptive. 

I hope it was a favorable outcome for you!

Message 4 of 5
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

After 3 months I've finally gotten them to remove July 2011 90 day late. Took a lot of work. I'm still waiting to hear back from them on others. Their CSR just did the same thing I originally complained of (Only putting 1 of 2 accounts on auto draft) so they are going through tapes right now.

They are very difficult to GW. My suggestion is make it personal and real. It's also luck of draft in terms of who answers on their end.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.