cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped item reappears after over 1 year

tag
DocBones

Dropped item reappears after over 1 year

Two years ago, working with a credit repair company, I had several items dropp off CA's being unable or unwilling to verify the debt. This morning, I see that two of them have reappeard suddenly and without warning. 

My question is this: what is the best coarse of action to have theses items removed? 

Dispute through CA because this item has been previously deleted? 

Or 

since the amounts are very small, just attempt a PFD?

i need these off quickly due to mortgage loan.

are there any risks of resetting the DOFD?

any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
babyeyes00
Regular Contributor

Re: Dropped item reappears after over 1 year

I thought that I read it somewhere that you have to be notified when an item is re-inserted on your credit report.  Hopefully we can get some feedback on this. 

Starting Score: 555
Current Score: 685
Goal Score: 825

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
camille11
New Contributor

An item showed up again on my report after six months, and I didn't get any calls, letters, nothing.  So, they can do it.  I wish it weren't so!  I also used a Credit repair company...NEVER again!

Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@DocBones wrote:

Two years ago, working with a credit repair company, I had several items dropp off CA's being unable or unwilling to verify the debt. This morning, I see that two of them have reappeard suddenly and without warning. 

My question is this: what is the best coarse of action to have theses items removed? 

Dispute through CA because this item has been previously deleted? 

Or 

since the amounts are very small, just attempt a PFD?

i need these off quickly due to mortgage loan.

are there any risks of resetting the DOFD?

any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I bet your CRs have already been pulled for the mortgage.... The scumbags will all come out of the woddwork now expecting full payment as they know your mortgage banker will pull a report just prior to closing and these will stop closing until they are taken care of. For future reference run a mortgage app well in advance of the real one so these bags can be dealt with in a different fashion prior to the real mortgage app. PFD is your way to go and your only option at the moment.

DOFD cannot be reset it is always the same.

Message 4 of 8
NWintellectual
Regular Contributor

So you're saying that if you suspect there might be other items outstanding that are not reporting, a good way to "discover" them is to apply for a mortgage just for the heck of it?

Starting Score (2/15/14): TU 533 (myFICO) | EQ 509 (myFICO)
Latest score (4/5/14): TU 541 (Lender) | EQ 562 (SW) | EX 576 (myFICO)
Goal Score by 9/30/14: 620+ | Goal Score by 6/30/15: 700+
-----
My wallet:
US Bank LanPass Secured $500 | US Bank HD Secured $300 | Fingerhut $200 | Local CU $1000
Message 5 of 8
DocBones

So if I dispute with the credit bureau saying this item has previously been deleted and that I was not notified that it was being re-inserted as required by FDCPA, etc. and also fire off a pay for delete to the CA at the same time would that cause any problems?

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA restricts reinsertion of information if deletion occured due to lack of verification of accuracy in a prior dispute.

The critical aspect is that deletion was required based on lack of verification in response to a dispute, and not due to voluntary deletion by the furnisher.

To reinsert in such cases, any party (not just the party that previously furnished the information) must submit, along with their reporting, a certification of accuracy of the information.

That then provides the previously missing certification of accuracy.  The CRA must have received and accepted that pre-certification before they can reinsert the information.

If they do reinsert, they are required to send notice to the consumer within 5 business days after the reinsertion.  FCRA 611(a)(5)(B).

Notification shows that the reinsertion was done with receipt of the required pre-certification.

Lack of notification is a signal that the reinsertion was not accompanied by the required pre-certification, which can happen if the furnisher did not notify of the CRA aong with their reporting that it is a request for reiertion after deletion due to a pror dispute.

I would begin by contacting the CRA, and inquriing as to whether the reinsertion was accompanied by the required pre-certification, and if so, why you were not so notified.

If the CRA informs that the reinsertion was not accompanied by a pre-certification because they were unaware of the prior deleltion, be prepared to provide them the info regarding the prior dispute, such as the copy of their Notice of Results of Reinvetsigation, which should have stated that they deleted based on lack of verifcation of the disputed information.

Message 7 of 8
babyeyes00
Regular Contributor

Awesome info.  Im going to double check my reports.  I have at least 3 items that were re-inserted after I applied for a mortgage.  Thanks again Robert Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 555
Current Score: 685
Goal Score: 825

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.