Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duke Energy Collection Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Duke Energy Collection Account

Before my husband and I were married, he was renting a house.  I moved in about three months after he started renting the house.  I paid the current electric charges to Duke Energy but the bill wasn't going down.  I called Duke, they stated they had been unable to read the meter for several months and were just estimating the monthly amount.  The problem is, they were estimating the amount from the prior tenants, 6 people.  Needless to say, the balance was over $1300 and I disputed it.  I never heard anything back from Duke regarding my dispute.  Now, we are trying to buy a house and there is a collection agency for Duke, showing a balance of over $1300.  This wasn't paid from 2009 and after my dispute, I assumed it was resolved.  No phone calls, letters, etc.  What I assume is that the Statute of Limitations is close to tolling, so they are trying to collect it, as it is just now appearing on his CBR.  I called the collection company in an attempt to work out a settlement and was advised that since this is a Utility Bill and is regulated by the government, that a settlement is not an option, I must pay the entire balance in full.  Has anyone heard of this?  If I complete a payment plan will this have negative impact on his CBR?  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Duke Energy Collection Account

@Anonymous wrote:

Before my husband and I were married, he was renting a house.  I moved in about three months after he started renting the house.  I paid the current electric charges to Duke Energy but the bill wasn't going down.  I called Duke, they stated they had been unable to read the meter for several months and were just estimating the monthly amount.  The problem is, they were estimating the amount from the prior tenants, 6 people.  Needless to say, the balance was over $1300 and I disputed it.  I never heard anything back from Duke regarding my dispute.  Now, we are trying to buy a house and there is a collection agency for Duke, showing a balance of over $1300.  This wasn't paid from 2009 and after my dispute, I assumed it was resolved.  No phone calls, letters, etc.  What I assume is that the Statute of Limitations is close to tolling, so they are trying to collect it, as it is just now appearing on his CBR.  I called the collection company in an attempt to work out a settlement and was advised that since this is a Utility Bill and is regulated by the government, that a settlement is not an option, I must pay the entire balance in full.  Has anyone heard of this?  If I complete a payment plan will this have negative impact on his CBR?  

LOL, a good try on their part, there is no such requirement that the bill be paid in full after its been written off, a settlement is possible and since its old an the SOL is about to expire (written contract would apply) I personally would do nothing till its past. From what you say here this company has committed financial fraud by not adjusting the bill to the correct amount once they did read the meter. I would be filing complaints with their regulators, the states AG and the BBB.

Message 2 of 4
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

LOL, a good try on their part, there is no such requirement that the bill be paid in full after its been written off, a settlement is possible and since its old an the SOL is about to expire (written contract would apply) I personally would do nothing till its past. From what you say here this company has committed financial fraud by not adjusting the bill to the correct amount once they did read the meter. I would be filing complaints with their regulators, the states AG and the BBB.

+1...and file with the CFPB and your state's Public Utility Commission.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

My daughter got burned by  So Cal Edison for this "estimating your usage" BS a few years back. They estimated her bills for a year and then presented her with a $600+ "reconciliation" bill. I told her she should have taken them to court to make them prove that the billing was legit, but she never did.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.