Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumb Question- Is this reporting twice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dumb Question- Is this reporting twice?

So we have a medical bill from when my husband was in the hospital for 3 days and was sent to collections for almost 10,000 . I pulled a three bureau credit report from Experian and it is a little difficult to read but with Experian it is being reported by First Source Advantage for the amount of 9,462 but on transunion i see it on there under the OC for 9,462 and then i see another on TU for the same amount but different account number.

The one on experian and one of the TU has the same account number, the other transunion has a different account number. There are no comment there are balanaces on each but no past due listed on any of them. i know someone told me there can be two reporting the same but the OC must show a zero balance because it was sold? am i understanding that correctly?

I need advice what to do or is what is see correct? Do i dispute? which one or both?  i need these gone or settled in order to buy a home because my mortgage lender says a lein is too risky with them on there. we have never paid a payment or anything since the hospital visit in 2009. i don't think they are reporting the correct DOFD but i can't remember exactly when the hospital visit was in 2009  but experian shows it not set to be removed until AUG 2017

Thank you for your help

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dumb Question- Is this reporting twice?

@Anonymous wrote:

So we have a medical bill from when my husband was in the hospital for 3 days and was sent to collections for almost 10,000 . I pulled a three bureau credit report from Experian and it is a little difficult to read but with Experian it is being reported by First Source Advantage for the amount of 9,462 but on transunion i see it on there under the OC for 9,462 and then i see another on TU for the same amount but different account number.

The one on experian and one of the TU has the same account number, the other transunion has a different account number. There are no comment there are balanaces on each but no past due listed on any of them. i know someone told me there can be two reporting the same but the OC must show a zero balance because it was sold? am i understanding that correctly?

I need advice what to do or is what is see correct? Do i dispute? which one or both?  i need these gone or settled in order to buy a home because my mortgage lender says a lein is too risky with them on there. we have never paid a payment or anything since the hospital visit in 2009. i don't think they are reporting the correct DOFD but i can't remember exactly when the hospital visit was in 2009  but experian shows it not set to be removed until AUG 2017

Thank you for your help

Its rather rare for Hospitals to report as OC. Ordinarily they just let the collector do all the work. If the debt has been sold, then yes the OC should update the balance to reflect that fact. It also say som ewhere that it 'sold or transferred to another lender'. However, the presence of a collector reporting does not automatically mean that it has been sold. You need to contact the OC and verify the status of the debt (whether it has been sold or whether its merely been assigned to a collector), before doing any disputing.

What is the SOL in your state for written contract debt?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL is 6 years and there is no comments or anything stating sold or transferred which is why I am confused. What date does the SOL go by?
Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
SOL is 6 years and there is no comments or anything stating sold or transferred which is why I am confused. What date does the SOL go by?

Typically the accounts DoFD but it can sometimes be date of last payment so you need to check your states laws and the laws of the state that the creditor is incorporated in as that SOL can be used at their choice.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When is the DOFD for Medical Bill that was never paid?
Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
When is the DOFD for Medical Bill that was never paid?

The accepted date would be 30 days after the due date of the original bill.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.