Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumb question

tag
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

Re: Dumb question

Howdy from a fellow Texan!

+1 rebuilding forum is great. As stated, first step will be to get your free credit reports here:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

You can also pay for your reports AND scores on this site. You're gonna want FICO scores, not Vantage (aka FAKO) scores that credit karma and some other sites offer. Although the credit report content you're seeing at credit karma will coincide with what your Transunion (and Equifax) report says, the score that's provided is useless for the most part.

Regarding the annual credit report site, be ready to answer some verification questions regarding past or present addresses, credit accounts and/or their corresponding monthly payment. Sometimes the answer will be "does not apply" or something to that effect. That's normal. Think carefully though, because if you don't answer correctly it may not let you proceed.

Some of those cards you mentioned that went unpaid may or may not show up on your reports, and if you see em the lenders can see em.

The following links are some examples that will help you understand how to read a credit report. The first time I looked at my reports I couldn't make heads or tails of it. The following links provide some sample credit reports and kind of walks you through what it all means:

https://www.experian.com/credit_report_basics/pdf/samplecreditreport.pdf

https://www.credit.com/credit-reports/cheat-sheet/

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/help/interactive-sample-credit-report-6000.php

After you review your reports, let us know if you see any derogatory information such as late payments, collection accounts, charge offs, bankruptcies, tax liens or judgements. If you do have any of these types of accounts that are of the revolving variety, take note of the lender as well (Chase, Citi, BofA, etc).

This type of information can help us lead you in the right direction in choosing lender and product. Sorry if I'm throwing too much info at you at once I know it looks like a lot at first. Welcome to the forums and feel free to ask about anything!

Message 11 of 15
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

Howdy from a fellow Texan!

+1 rebuilding forum is great. As stated, first step will be to get your free credit reports here:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

You can also pay for your reports AND scores on this site. You're gonna want FICO scores, not Vantage (aka FAKO) scores that credit karma and some other sites offer. Although the credit report content you're seeing at credit karma will coincide with what your Transunion (and Equifax) report says, the score that's provided is useless for the most part.

Regarding the annual credit report site, be ready to answer some verification questions regarding past or present addresses, credit accounts and/or their corresponding monthly payment. Sometimes the answer will be "does not apply" or something to that effect. That's normal. Think carefully though, because if you don't answer correctly it may not let you proceed.

Some of those cards you mentioned that went unpaid may or may not show up on your reports, and if you see em the lenders can see em.

The following links are some examples that will help you understand how to read a credit report. The first time I looked at my reports I couldn't make heads or tails of it. The following links provide some sample credit reports and kind of walks you through what it all means:

https://www.experian.com/credit_report_basics/pdf/samplecreditreport.pdf

https://www.credit.com/credit-reports/cheat-sheet/

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/help/interactive-sample-credit-report-6000.php

After you review your reports, let us know if you see any derogatory information such as late payments, collection accounts, charge offs, bankruptcies, tax liens or judgements. If you do have any of these types of accounts that are of the revolving variety, take note of the lender as well (Chase, Citi, BofA, etc).

This type of information can help us lead you in the right direction in choosing lender and product. Sorry if I'm throwing too much info at you at once I know it looks like a lot at first. Welcome to the forums and feel free to ask about anything!
Message 12 of 15
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How can I find out who the particular isuer was?

Will that be in one of the three credit reports?

Would getting a secured loan at a credit union and paying it off repair my credit?

Do you not remember what bank it was?

Do you still have your old records/bills? The bank's name will be on the statements. Or check your reports and see if it's still reporting.

A secured loan at a credit union is a good start. Also look into a secured credit card, try looking at Capital One's cards (you could try secured or maybe the unsecured Platinum card). Your credit union may also offer a secured card. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 13 of 15
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

Howdy from a fellow Texan! +1 rebuilding forum is great. As stated, first step will be to get your free credit reports here

You can also pay for your reports AND scores on this site. You're gonna want FICO scores, not Vantage (aka FAKO) scores that CK and some other sites offer. Although the credit report content you're seeing at CK will coincide with what your Transunion (and Equifax) report says, the score that's provided is useless for the most part.

Some of those cards you mentioned that went unpaid may or may not show up on your reports, and if you see em the lenders can see em too.

The following links are some examples that will help you understand how to read a credit report. Sometimes it's hard to make heads or tails of. These will provide some sample credit reports and kind of walks you through what it all means:

Click here1 

After you review your reports, let us know if you see any derogatory information such as late payments, collection accounts, charge offs, bankruptcies, tax liens or judgements. If you do have any of these types of accounts that are of the revolving variety, take note of the lender as well (Chase, Capital One, Citi, BofA, etc).

This type of information can help us lead you in the right direction in choosing lender and product. Sorry if I'm throwing too much at you at once. I know it looks like a lot at first. Welcome to the forums and feel free to ask away. No dumb questions!

Message 14 of 15
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All,

I live in Texas and Im wanting to repair my low credit score for financeing an eighteen wheeler. I have credit card debt over seven years old. I see on creditcarmah.com

that my score is 599 and they have an offer there for a credit card. If I apply and get approved for this c.c. will the c.c. companies come after me for the odl debt?

and if I get the card and make the payments on time will it improve my score?

OP, since your topic pertains to rebuilding credit, I've moved your topic to the Rebuilding Forum for better response.  --SE

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.