Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumping CCCS and paying myself

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dumping CCCS and paying myself

Hi!  About 14 months ago my score was in the 560s, was having some serious issues and decided to go to CCCS for my 2 high (10k) balance cards.  They set me up on a 5 year plan and auto-draft the payment each month.   I'm paying $40 a month for this.  I'm in a much better place now, I've gotten all my other cards paid off and score is 670s now.  I  want to take over these payments myself and save the $40 each month.   

I called Discover Card and they said they didn't care where the payment was coming from as long as they got it each month.   Barclays, after much back and forth with a rep said I have to stay with CCCS.   My question is, how do they know?  If a payment is applied each month will they really care if it was from Entity X or entity Y?     Will the CCCS notify Barclay if I "fire" them?  

Thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dumping CCCS and paying myself

Congrats on your score jump! I was thinking about using a CCCS myself. Did you find that your monthly payments decresed significantly by using them? Were the benefits worth it? 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was it worth it?  Yes and no.    I was 30 days late on each of the cards but nothing had reported late yet.   I was barely keeping my head above water and the interest was a killer.   The payments went down about $150/month but the interest decrease was the biggest thing.  However, there was some kind of screw up with Barclays and CCCS didn't make sure the late amount was covered/discussed/etc.  So, unbeknowst to me, the account had a small late amount carried over each month for 4 months - so I went from no lates to 4 consecutive lates.  UGH!!   I hindsight, I should have beem more vigilent but I was in a bad place, distracted with some serious problems and mentally put those 2 accounts on auto-pilot.   

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Was it worth it?  Yes and no.    I was 30 days late on each of the cards but nothing had reported late yet.   I was barely keeping my head above water and the interest was a killer.   The payments went down about $150/month but the interest decrease was the biggest thing.  However, there was some kind of screw up with Barclays and CCCS didn't make sure the late amount was covered/discussed/etc.  So, unbeknowst to me, the account had a small late amount carried over each month for 4 months - so I went from no lates to 4 consecutive lates.  UGH!!   I hindsight, I should have beem more vigilent but I was in a bad place, distracted with some serious problems and mentally put those 2 accounts on auto-pilot.   

One more question. Sorry! What the total number of cards the CCCS helped you with? Thanks so much!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only put in those 2.  I had 3 other cards but the total balance of those was about $2100.  I sold some stuff and checked the couch cushions for money and paid them off over 3 months.   Having said that - I would not have been able to pay the small cards had I not gotten some relief with the 2 big ones. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@I only put in those 2.  I had 3 other cards but the total balance of those was about @2100k.  I sold some stuff and checked the couch cushions for money and paid them off over 3 months.   Having said that - I would not have been able to pay the small cards had I not gotten some relief with the 2 big ones. 

Makes total sense! Thank you. 

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Did you sign/enter into a valid contract with them that obligates you to continue payments until a specified point/time?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No contract with CCCS - just an authorization for auto-draft.   This is the United Way version of CCCS      I have no memory or recod of signing an agreemebnt with either card. 

I am more concerned that CCCS will tell the creditors I am no longer going through them.    When I asked about it Discover didn't seem to care but Barclays acted wierd about it.   

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.