Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dunning Notice question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dunning Notice question

Hello, I was recently approved for a mortgage, and shortly after the approval, I received a dunning notice for a debt that is a little over 5-years-old. The SOL in my state is 6. I received a dunning letter from the same company a couple years ago and ignored it, and nothing ever happened. Nothing has been reported on my credit. Should I ignore it again or DV? If I DV maybe it will wake up the sleeping giant and they'll see me as a target. If I ignore, maybe they'll leave me alone for a while again? Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dunning Notice question

Pull your full reports and see if they have soft pulled your reports.
Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they sent prior dunning notice, then they have already complied with their statutory requirement.

Technically, if you sent a DV at this time, they could hold it untimely since sent more than 30 days after their prior notice.

It is hard to say why they sent a new notice.

I would speculate that either they were unsure that they sent prior notice, or else their automated system spit out a notice without any human processing.

As to whether to send a DV, that is up to you.

If you apparently acknowldege the debt, you likely could assume they can verify, and you dont need verifcation in order to determine if you owe it.

Additionally, a DV, even if timely, would not impose any requirment for them to respond.

I would most likely not send a DV.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies. This debt buyer does not try to collect the debt themselves. they have other debt buyers try to collect on their behalf. A couple years ago I got a dunning notice from one company and this time I got one from a different company...both collecting for the same debt on behalf of the same company. And my credit report has been clean, at least from collection companies, all this time, and it's been over 5 years.

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Dunning notice clearly shows they are aware of the debt.

It could be an opportunity to pay before they report.

I would recommend sending a pay for not reporting offer.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just wondering why they would report now when they haven't done so in 5 years, even after the first dunning notice nothing ever happened.

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As Norman inferred, they may likely have noticed your recent mortgage, indicating improved financial status.

Also, if still in the mortgage app process and the loan had not closed, then you may have been required by the lendor to pay the delinquent debt as a condition for final approval.

Debt collectors do regular inquiries to attempt to pick up scenarios that might lead to liklihood of now recovering the debt.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The delinquent debt is no longer on my credit report. It fell off 2 years early because of the Bank of America settlement. But yes, I'm sure they're seeing these mortgage inquiries.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.