Regular Contributor
johnsj21

Dunning letter via email?!?!

I just received a dunning letter via email....I never received anything from this creditor via mail.  This cannot be considered a TRUE dunning letter, correct?

9/26/08 TU: 528 EQ: 558 EX: 560
11/7/08 TU:584 EQ:601 EX 600
7/21/09 TU:636 EQ:626
12/27/11 TU: 675 EQ:680
Established Contributor
pipeguy

Re: Dunning letter via email?!?!

johnsj21 wrote:

I just received a dunning letter via email....I never received anything from this creditor via mail.  This cannot be considered a TRUE dunning letter, correct?

I would not think so since the CA can't prove you received the "letter". In addition since an email "could be" read by anyone, you might have a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), 15 U.S.C. § 1692 which requires all "specific debt" information to be between you and the CA only. Of course you'd have to acknowledge receipt of the email to accuse of a FDCPA violation.

Suggest you get a copy of Mailwasher (free addition) http://www.mailwasher.net/download-mailwasher-free which allows you to not only screen your email, but "bounce back" those emails you don't want or consider spam.

*** Remember the Tallyman because he sure remembers you ***
pizzadude

Re: Dunning letter via email?!?!

johnsj21 wrote:

I believe that the FDCPA requires written notice;  an email would not suffice.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+