Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dunning letter via email?!?!

tag
johnsj21
Regular Contributor

Dunning letter via email?!?!

I just received a dunning letter via email....I never received anything from this creditor via mail.  This cannot be considered a TRUE dunning letter, correct?

9/26/08 TU: 528 EQ: 558 EX: 560
11/7/08 TU:584 EQ:601 EX 600
7/21/09 TU:636 EQ:626
12/27/11 TU: 675 EQ:680
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Dunning letter via email?!?!

@johnsj21 wrote:

I just received a dunning letter via email....I never received anything from this creditor via mail.  This cannot be considered a TRUE dunning letter, correct?

I would not think so since the CA can't prove you received the "letter". In addition since an email "could be" read by anyone, you might have a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), 15 U.S.C. § 1692 which requires all "specific debt" information to be between you and the CA only. Of course you'd have to acknowledge receipt of the email to accuse of a FDCPA violation.

Suggest you get a copy of Mailwasher (free addition) http://www.mailwasher.net/download-mailwasher-free which allows you to not only screen your email, but "bounce back" those emails you don't want or consider spam.

Message 2 of 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Dunning letter via email?!?!

@johnsj21 wrote:

I believe that the FDCPA requires written notice;  an email would not suffice.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.