Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Collection Accounts on my CR

tag
Lululime
Established Member

Duplicate Collection Accounts on my CR

Hey guys - I'm counting on your expertise to help me on this one! 

A long long time ago I went on a couples date with a guy and when I made it clear that I wasn't interested in seeing him again he sued me for the cost of our most recent date.   I was too embarrassed to show up in court, and much too stubborn to pay him.  Now I have a set of duplicate collection accounts on my account and don't know what to do to get rid of them. 

I attempted to dispute these with the credit bureaus as duplicate accounts but they came back as validated.  The debt is mine, but there should only be one record of it.  Should I DV first or a PFD?  I'm more than happy to pay at this point but want to make sure that if I do a PFD that they remove both entries.

Here's what my my credit report:

Date Reported: 04/2010

Date Assigned: 10/2005

Original Amount Owned: $176

Date of 1 st Delinquency: 09/2005

Balance Date: 04/2010

Balance Owned: $291

Last Payment Date : N/A

Status Date: 04/2010

Date Reported: 09/2006

Balance Date: 09/2006

Balance Owned: $218

Status Date: 09/2006

I removed the account numbers, but with the exception of a letter at the beginning they were the same.

Starting Score: 625
Current Score: 681
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
fot1
Established Contributor

Re: Duplicate Collection Accounts on my CR

Is it different Ca's or the same one?

Too many to list..
Message 2 of 9
Lululime
Established Member

Same CA

Message 3 of 9
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@Lululime wrote:

A long long time ago I went on a couples date with a guy and when I made it clear that I wasn't interested in seeing him again he sued me for the cost of our most recent date.   I was too embarrassed to show up in court, and much too stubborn to pay him.  Now I have a set of duplicate collection accounts on my account and don't know what to do to get rid of them. Did he go to Judge Judy or what?  What a jerk!!!!

I attempted to dispute these with the credit bureaus as duplicate accounts but they came back as validated.  The debt is mine, but there should only be one record of it.  Should I DV first or a PFD?  I'm more than happy to pay at this point but want to make sure that if I do a PFD that they remove both entries.

I removed the account numbers, but with the exception of a letter at the beginning they were the same.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 9
Lululime
Established Member

So.. he actually didSmiley Happy  I received a call from one of their producers... So embarrassing.  Needless to say I declined their offer to be publicly humiliated..

Message 5 of 9
Booner72
Senior Contributor

You should call up Judge Judy and take him to Court for how much money he has caused you in extra interest and loan denials because of this ding on your credit. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 9
Lululime
Established Member

I mailed a PFD shortly after posting this, and they didn't respond.  I know they received the letter because they actually sent me a communication on the debt (the first I've received) so they do have my address now.

Should I send another PFD? Or do I need to DV first to get rid of the duplicate??  Really want to get this off my CR!

Message 7 of 9
MissMia75
Frequent Contributor

I would dispute this piece by piece and chip away at how it is reporting with the CRA's.  My firsat grounds of disputing this would be for an account number to exsist there must be an account. And beint that this was as a result of a date who is this an account?  There was no business relationship here in which a contract was entered.  Was a promissory note signed?  Did you have an agreement of some sort?  I am confused as I am wondering how he was able to have this placed as a collection as an individual?

@Lululime wrote:

A long long time ago I went on a couples date with a guy and when I made it clear that I wasn't interested in seeing him again he sued me for the cost of our most recent date.   I was too embarrassed to show up in court, and much too stubborn to pay him.  Now I have a set of duplicate collection accounts on my account and don't know what to do to get rid of them. 

Starting Score: 06/2011 505 EX 523 Lender Pulled
Current Score: 08/2011 628 EX 575 Lender Pulled
11/14/2011 TU 584

***Closed on my home 05/18/2012***

Message 8 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Your PFD attempts really are unrelated to the issue of duplicate credit reporting.

It is possible for two debt collectors to both report on the same debt, but only if they were separately assigned collection authority at different times.

In your case, they assert the same date of assignment of collection authority on the same debt with the same OC.

Clearly improper.

I would not approach this via debt validation.  You can certainly DV them.  Again, a separate issue.  If the debt is valid they could validate each.

To address the issue of duplicate reporting, I would file a direct dispute with the debt collector under FCRA 623(a)(8).  The inaccuracy is their reporting of their collection as two separate collections, which, as evidenced by their date of assignment are one in the same.  Request that they verify the accuracy of their reporting of the same collection authority on the same debt as being two separate collections.  It should be a no-brainer.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.