Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Fingerhut accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Duplicate Fingerhut accounts

I don't know how I missed it the first (few thousand) times through my report but Fingerhut is showing an account with identical account numbers, dates etc and amount twice on my credit report.  What is the best way to get this corrected?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: Duplicate Fingerhut accounts

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know how I missed it the first (few thousand) times through my report but Fingerhut is showing an account with identical account numbers, dates etc and amount twice on my credit report.  What is the best way to get this corrected?

Contact them, I had this same issue. They'll fix it. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay so Fingerhut's response was we sold this account - CA sent you a notice - never got it.  They did not address the duplicate account nor did they let me know who they sold the account to.  It's not showing up on my credit report.  What should I do now?  I'm going to send credit bureaus a dispute for duplicate accounts.  What else can I do?

Message 3 of 8
JPeanut503
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay so Fingerhut's response was we sold this account - CA sent you a notice - never got it.  They did not address the duplicate account nor did they let me know who they sold the account to.  It's not showing up on my credit report.  What should I do now?  I'm going to send credit bureaus a dispute for duplicate accounts.  What else can I do?

I have the same issue. My account is even closed and it shows up twice and then with a CA (who I paid off). Fingerhut just states that they sold the account. Apparently teh problem is that they were "sold" 3 times sometime between 2008-2013 and each new owner creats a new TL, same account number and info, just an additional TL. I haven't figured out how to handle this yet.  

Beginning myfico score watch 608 (4/4/14)
EQ 652 (9/17/14) myfico
TU 641 (9/17/14) myfico
EX 671 (9/17/14) myfico
**Goal Score: 700 across the board
Message 4 of 8
growing123
Regular Contributor

@JPeanut503 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the same issue. My account is even closed and it shows up twice and then with a CA (who I paid off). Fingerhut just states that they sold the account. Apparently teh problem is that they were "sold" 3 times sometime between 2008-2013 and each new owner creats a new TL, same account number and info, just an additional TL. I haven't figured out how to handle this yet.  

From my understanding, once the CA sells the debt (or it gets reassigned by the owner) they're required to delete their reporting.  The new CA can then report if it's still withing CRTP.  I would DV all CA on your report to weed out the ones that no longer own the debt.  Or if you know the CA that currently owns the debt, then you could dispute the duplicate TL. 

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So after reading everyone's post on myfico I am beginning to find out that fingerhut is kind of hard to deal with.  These  different trade lines are weird.  Did fingerhut sell but keep same address?  Anyone else had luck with getting them removed.

Message 6 of 8
dursty87
Established Contributor

@growing123 wrote:

@JPeanut503 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

From my understanding, once the CA sells the debt (or it gets reassigned by the owner) they're required to delete their reporting.  The new CA can then report if it's still withing CRTP.  I would DV all CA on your report to weed out the ones that no longer own the debt.  Or if you know the CA that currently owns the debt, then you could dispute the duplicate TL. 

+1.  DV all CA's reporting a collection for this account and the one's that don't have authority will delete.  They can't validate a debt they don't own.

Message 7 of 8
dursty87
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So after reading everyone's post on myfico I am beginning to find out that fingerhut is kind of hard to deal with.  These  different trade lines are weird.  Did fingerhut sell but keep same address?  Anyone else had luck with getting them removed.

Dispute both as duplicate TL's.  You can't be dinged twice for one charge off from the OC.  There can be 1 CA and the OC reporting the same charge off, not 2 from the OC.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.