Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE timing question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

EE timing question

I have a Cap1 card I opened in 2008 which has a "account legally settled for less than full balance" (or thereabouts) negative on my report across all three bureaus from March 2010. That plus a few lates on the same card are the only negatives I've ever had. (I had employment issues and got in a bind there...)

On a whim, I decided to see if I'd have any luck in getting an EE for this item, since it's slated to drop in the next ~6 months.  Amazingly, TU deleted instantly (after politely escalating to a supervisor). Pulled my TU report and it's already updated, resulting in a 41 point increase in my score. Not awful. EX was also friendly and told me to call back on July 31st and they'll gladly delete as well.

EQ, perhaps unsurprisingly after spending the morning searching this forum, was firm in saying it was their policy to never offer EEs, and that it will drop in March 2017 at the 7 year mark. The only exception being that if Cap1 tells them to drop it early, they will (supposedly).

This leads me to my question: I have another unrelated matter I've been discussing with the Cap1 EO. While I have their ear, should I just flat out ask them if they can have EQ drop the negative early, in light of the other two agencies already deleting the negative? Or would it be foolish to even indicate to Cap1 that the agencies deleted the item at all? Could Cap1 potentially somehow re-report? I'm a bit in the dark as to how the mechanics of this all works. I had no idea I'd even have luck so early. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: EE timing question

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Cap1 card I opened in 2008 which has a "account legally settled for less than full balance" (or thereabouts) negative on my report across all three bureaus from March 2010. That plus a few lates on the same card are the only negatives I've ever had. (I had employment issues and got in a bind there...)

On a whim, I decided to see if I'd have any luck in getting an EE for this item, since it's slated to drop in the next ~6 months.  Amazingly, TU deleted instantly (after politely escalating to a supervisor). Pulled my TU report and it's already updated, resulting in a 41 point increase in my score. Not awful. EX was also friendly and told me to call back on July 31st and they'll gladly delete as well.

EQ, perhaps unsurprisingly after spending the morning searching this forum, was firm in saying it was their policy to never offer EEs, and that it will drop in March 2017 at the 7 year mark. The only exception being that if Cap1 tells them to drop it early, they will (supposedly).

This leads me to my question: I have another unrelated matter I've been discussing with the Cap1 EO. While I have their ear, should I just flat out ask them if they can have EQ drop the negative early, in light of the other two agencies already deleting the negative? Or would it be foolish to even indicate to Cap1 that the agencies deleted the item at all? Could Cap1 potentially somehow re-report? I'm a bit in the dark as to how the mechanics of this all works. I had no idea I'd even have luck so early. 

Thanks!

Yes ask them for a goodwill deletion of the account. Once the  CRA excludes it for age its gone and not coming back even if its reported again.

Message 2 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Yes ask them for a goodwill deletion of the account. Once the  CRA excludes it for age its gone and not coming back even if its reported again.

+1

I agree, I'd goodwill them. What is done is done in the items already removed. It is worth asking them to do this if they'll remove it and it helps you. Nothing to lose in trying.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Your creditor has nothing to do with credit report exclusion of derogs thay have reported.

Credit report exclusion is done solely by the CRA.

What the rep was saying is that if the creditor reports deletion of the derog, that will remove it.

Deletion is not the same as credit report exclusion.

The rep was simply providing you an alternative, and passing the buck.

I would pursue by calling the CRA again, and speaking with a different rep.  They do not have a blanket prohibition against eary exclusions

Alternately, if you do wish to pursue with your creditor, I would make a normal request to the creditor that they report a good-will deletion, and not request that they get involved with the CRA in early exclusion issues.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

And to clarify, TU deleted flat out and EX said they would as well on the 31st. 

So it sounds like I should call EQ to see if I can get a different rep and a deletion. And if that fails a few more times, just ask Cap1 EO if they'd do a GW delete?

What is the difference between that and exclusion? I guess I thought they were interchangable. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.