Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS CCA ATT bill from 4+ years ago?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

EOS CCA ATT bill from 4+ years ago?

Recently I checked my credit report...there was absolutely nothing on it except for one account that is in good standing and all of the sudden this collection agency pops up. I had NO idea what it was for because it didnt say. Well, I went home to my moms house for the holidays and discovered to my surprise a letter from them. I have not lived at this address for 8 years. Why would they send a collection notice to an address that I don't even live at?? Apparently the bill is for a past due ATT bill. I did not even remember having ATT.  Well I called up EOS to get to the bottom of this and they told me that they would take this off of my credit report once I resolved the debt. I told them that I was not agreeing or admitting to the debt until I verified this with ATT. When I spoke with ATT they gave me the same account number as EOS and gave an old address and the phone number I had with them in 2008. The number did ring a bell but I don't know WHY I apparently had an account with them for less than 6 months which is what they told me. Immediately following them I had an account with T Mobile. Bizarre but okay. When I asked both EOS and ATT about the statute of limitations which I thought was either 2 or 4 years neither could give me an answer. My questions are:

Why wasn't this ever on my credit report? If I had no idea about it how could I pay it?

Has the statute of limitations been reached?

I am willing to pay this if I am in the wrong here in order to get it off my credit report but I won't do that if they're not gonna remove it. They should have sent it to the right address and tried to contact me within the last 4+ years if they wanted me to pay it! I pulled all 3 CRA reports and it appears that this was placed for collection in August 2012. It just seems bizarre and shady. How am I supposed to repair my credit when there is apparently old phone bills floating out there that I had no idea about?!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GoBigRed
New Contributor

Re: EOS CCA ATT bill from 4+ years ago?

I had an EOS acct pop out for me 08/12 as well. I got couple e-mail contacts and sent them a dv/pfd e-mail. 3-4 days later CreditKarma showed me an increase in my score with a drop in the amt owed for the same amt EOS was reporting. I have not pulled up my new CR yet as I just pulled them on 1/1/13, however last time creditkarma showed the same thing, the CA entry was removed from my report. I would suggest doing the same thing. a lot of people here had success with that. 

Message 2 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Neither the FCRA nor the FDCPA require reporting within any specified timeframe.  While unfortunte that it lingered so long, and thus memories get clouded, their reporting is not a violation.

I would send them a DV.  I presume their dunning notice was sent more than 30 days ago, and thus the 30-day period for sending a timely DV has expired, but in view of the circumstances of sending to a very old address, I would consider your receipt as the date and send it anyway.

That will, arguably, impose a cease collection bar on them until such time as they choose to valdate.

Expiration of the SOL means they cant bring successful legal action.  However, it has nothing to do with credit report exclusion.  The debt collector is not responsible for determining whether SOL has expired, so it is not surprising that they declined to comment.

What is the DOFD on the OC account?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They say the DOFD is October 2008. I believe that the first notice was sent in October 2012.

Message 4 of 10
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

I'm dealing with southwest collection from AT&T now. They verbal agreed to a PDF, but I told them I need it in writing. 

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt is legit, then you can always wait for expiration of the CR exclusion period.

That will block one from discovering the unpaid, delinquent debt via a simply pull of your CR.

However, the debt lives until discharged, so you take your chances that future creditors wont become aware of it via other means.

Meanwhile, they can continue collection activities, which you can partially block by way of a cease communication letter.

It's always good, regardless of CR exclusion, to have no unpaid, delinquent debt.

Message 6 of 10
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

If the debt is legit, then you can always wait for expiration of the CR exclusion period.

That will block one from discovering the unpaid, delinquent debt via a simply pull of your CR.

However, the debt lives until discharged, so you take your chances that future creditors wont become aware of it via other means.

Meanwhile, they can continue collection activities, which you can partially block by way of a cease communication letter.

It's always good, regardless of CR exclusion, to have no unpaid, delinquent debt.

What is an exclusion period?

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

An exclusion period relates to any adverse information reported to your credit file.

FCRA 605(a) sets different periods based on the type of advers information reported.

Once the credit report exclusion period has expired for a given item of information, the credit reporting agencies are required to exclude that information from any credit reports they issue after that date. 

The information remains in your file, but is not (usually) obtainable by a pull of your credit report.

Message 8 of 10
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

Never heard of that. Still not clear on what it is but will research it. I definitely don't want to wait the 7 year period before it is deleted. I am trying the pfd method now. Hopefully it works.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG, What would typical "other means" be?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.