Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EQ and EX not removing cc account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ and EX not removing cc account

Equifax and experian are not removing a credit card account that was sold to a collecting agency. I paid off the agency and TU removed the account, but it remains as a charge off in equifax and experian. I have disputed this account with both agencies they came back saying it is still a charge off. Is there any way to get this removed as I am not getting any joy from the credit card company?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: EQ and EX not removing cc account

@Anonymous wrote:

Equifax and experian are not removing a credit card account that was sold to a collecting agency. I paid off the agency and TU removed the account, but it remains as a charge off in equifax and experian. I have disputed this account with both agencies they came back saying it is still a charge off. Is there any way to get this removed as I am not getting any joy from the credit card company?

You would need to start a campaign of GW letters to the company that is reporting on your CRs, just because you pay off a CA doesnt mean the OC is going to delete the CO, it can remain for 7 yrs + 180 days from the DoFD according to the FCRA. Good luck on your credit journey and welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Neither sale of the debt by an OC nor ultimate payment of the debt to the new owner is basis for deletion of the OC account, or of derogs reported thereunder, such as a charge-off.

If it was removed from your TU report, it was most likely deleted by reporting of the OC to TU to delete, not by independent decision by the CRA to do so.

Thus, any such reporting would not apply to reporting made with other CRAs.

When you disputed, what was the specific asserted inaccuracy that was basis for your dispute?

Since a CO is an internal accounting measure, it is usually near impossible to show that their CO itself was improper/inaccurate.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disputed the item as  the OC is more than 7 years old, which I believe is the reason TU removed it. I have sent new disputes to EX and EQ on the basis that an account that is more than 7 years old should be removed.

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no requirement for deletion of an OC account based on its age, so I would not assume that is the basis for any removal from your TU report.

The CRA would exclude the reporting of the charge-off if at or near its credit report exclusion period, but that does not relate to any deletion of the account.

I would presume that the OC voluntarily reported deletion with only that one CRA.

Message 5 of 6
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I disputed the item as  the OC is more than 7 years old, which I believe is the reason TU removed it. I have sent new disputes to EX and EQ on the basis that an account that is more than 7 years old should be removed.

TU will do the TOO OLD thing WAY before the other CRA's.  If you dispute again with ex and eq, it will come back updated.  Depending on the data of first default, they will delete it from your reports.  You just have to wait.  NOTHING you can do, except try to goodwill the OC.  But, if it's being deleted in the next six months, best to leave it alone.

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.