Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EQ taking 8+ months to verify an account

tag
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

EQ taking 8+ months to verify an account

This is as much my fault as EQ's imo, since I kind of dropped the ball & forgot about this dispute last year, and haven't requested they fix this this since then.

As per the screenshot I'm providing, I disputed an account last year in September, and apparently it is still PENDING, heh. They must be really backlogged with complaints requests from people, with all the new rules coming into effect I suppose.

Anyways, uh, now that I pulled my head out of my rear, whats the process to get them to get rid of this or actually process my request? Should I nicely remind them directly of an almost 9 month old pending dispute, or file a complaint, or what.

Obviously, I ultimately want this deleted, heh, however I would settle for my report being correct, provided it doesn't negatively affect my score with updated dates. I think it's set to fall off in mid 2019. Should I not poke the bear & just let it ride for less than 2 more years? My scores are currently 680-700 FICO8, excpt for EQ which is still 650's or so, due to this item I'm talking about, as well as one other.

EQ_taking_forever.png

2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: EQ taking 8+ months to verify an account

The CRA has two main options when receiving a dispute.

First, they can dismiss the dispute as frivolous or irrrelevant, and thus conclude the dispute without any requriment to conduct a reinvestigation.

If they dismiss, they must do so within the reinvestigation period, and send notice thereof to the consumer.  See FCRA 611(a)(3).

Second, if the dont dismiss the dispute as frivolous or irrelevant, they must conclude their reinvestigation within 30 days of receipt of the dispute (assuming the consumer has not filed any addtional info after the initial filing), and then send a formal Notice of Results of Reinvestigation within 5 business days thereafter.  See FCRA 611(a)(6).

The only provision for any extension of the CRA reinvestigation period is set forth under FCRA 611(a)(1)(B), which extends the reinvestigation period by an additional 15 days if the consumer submits new information pertinent to the dispute.  No other extension is permitted.

Lack of sending of a formal Notice of Results of Reinvestigation months after filing of a dispute is thus a clear violation of the requirments of the FCRA.

If the CRA was unable to complete its reinvestigation and send the Notice of Results within the required period, they are required to correct the disputed info in the manner asserted by the consumer, or if they cannot verify or correct, delete the disputed info.

Either the CRA has concluded the prior dispute and you did not receive the Notice, or they are in violation of the FCRA.

You might wish to first contact the CRA and ask as to whether their records show that the dispute was concluded.

You can either seek administrative remedy by filing a complaint with the CFPB, or you can initiate your own civil action against the CRA.

Message 2 of 3
MrTom
Frequent Contributor

Re: EQ taking 8+ months to verify an account

I'm in the same boat.  I had an EQ dispute that should of cleared 4-4 and 4-11 but didnt.

Starting Score: May 23, 2016 EQ 537 TU 518 EX 548
Recent Scores: EQ 839 TU 824 EX 821
Goal Score: 840
Current Vantage 3.0: 808
Mortgage Scores August 18 2017: EQ5 684 TU4 692 EX2 690
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.