Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EQUIFAX Reinserted items on file

tag
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

EQUIFAX Reinserted items on file

To start, my file is being handed by Equifax Office of Consumer Affairs. I received an alert that items have been placed on my file. I contacted them, and was told that the creditors had completed their internal investigation and they concluded that the items should be reinserted. What is this internal investigation they are speaking about? It was my understanding, that before a previously deleted item could be reinserted, that the consumer must be notified 5 days prior to its reinseration. What is my next step?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: EQUIFAX Reinserted items on file

My understanding is that it depends on why the item was deleted. I think RobertEG knows the Ins and outs of this
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, not too sure either.  I know they will verify from the creditor if it's yours and reinsert it.  Fraud will be removed.  It does sound like they were verifying that they're yours? 

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Reinsertion of previously deleted information is controlled under FCRA 611(a)(5)(B), which applies only if the deletion was as the result of a finding in a dispute that the information was not verified.

If there was no prior dispute that resulted in the deletion, then reinsertion is simply re-reporting, with no special requirments.

Deletion based on a prior dispute that was not verified is not absolute.

The information can still be reinserted if the lacking verification is provided along with the reporting.

To that end, FCRA 611(a)(5)(B) sets forth the requirments for such reinsertion.

In a nutshell, the reporting must be accompanied by a certification of accuracy of the information

If the CRA finds the certification to be adequate, they may immediately reinsert.  They do not have to provide prior notice to the consumer.

However, the CRA must send a notice to the consumer no later than 5 business days after the reinsertion.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.