Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EQUIFAX WONT BUDGE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: EQUIFAX WONT BUDGE

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm not attempting to use a "loophole" if you never received a phone call or notice in the mail then you check your credit report and see a collections account on there that you received no prior notification of I believe it's more than fair to send a Debt Validation letter to them attached with that is ceasing and collection activity until receiving a response to said validation request.

In what way is this unfair, sly, sketchy, or otherwise wrong to do? And how can you update a collections agency with your address if you don't even know about the collections agency until you see it on your credit report?

All I'm saying is that I do not see how sending a debt validation when you genuinely didn't get a notice or phone call from the collections agency regardless of it you moved or not is unethical. Through the DV the CA would now have your new address while they validate your debt.

You can send the DV all you want, but if you didn't notify the original creditor of your new contact information and they sent a dunning notice to the information they had on file for you, they do not have to cease collection activity as your DV is not timely (unless it happens to be within 30 days of the dunning notice they sent). 

You "genuinely" not receiving something doesn't mean they didn't send it to what they genuinely believed to be your place of residence. As I said before, the burden is on you to keep billers and creditors aprised to how to communicate with you if that information changes.

You can send the DV if you want, but unless you get some information from them directly, you could get nothing out of it and be waiting around with no answers. 

Since you said there are multiple debts that you don't recall receiving dunning notices for and that you moved around several times without notifying billers/creditors, you should probably assume that they were sent to previous addresses and that a DV wouldn't cease collection activity. 

I really don't know what you are trying to prove here. You clearly don't have information that you need and I'm advising you obtain that information instead of throwing darts in the dark hoping they land. That being said, you're an adult so you'll do whatever you want, but you should know that legally you have nothing to stand on.

Message 21 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.