Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERC collection help! (OC AT&T)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ERC collection help! (OC AT&T)

I have an outstanding collection for $53, that has been assigned to ERC. The DoFD is 03/11. I never recieved the original bill from AT&T so I disputed the collection with Equifax, but they were able to verify the debt. So today I called them to ask for a PFD. They denied me, so I did not pay the collection. They told me they *NEVER* do PFD for AT&T, it was impossible blah blah blah. 

I am anxious to get this off my credit if it is at all possible. It is the only collection account I have on my CR. Do I have any recourse here? 

From what I understand the presence of the collection negatively impacts my credit, whether I pay it or not. I am more than willing to pay it, but I am apprehensive about paying it because once it is paid I feel I'll have no leverage for them to remove it. 

Is there any benefit to paying it? Can I request they remove it after it has been paid? I am tempted to just pay it, so it will at least update as paid if I am going to be stuck with it for the next three years...

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: ERC collection help! (OC AT&T)

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an outstanding collection for $53, that has been assigned to ERC. The DoFD is 03/11. I never recieved the original bill from AT&T so I disputed the collection with Equifax, but they were able to verify the debt. So today I called them to ask for a PFD. They denied me, so I did not pay the collection. They told me they *NEVER* do PFD for AT&T, it was impossible blah blah blah. 

I am anxious to get this off my credit if it is at all possible. It is the only collection account I have on my CR. Do I have any recourse here? 

From what I understand the presence of the collection negatively impacts my credit, whether I pay it or not. I am more than willing to pay it, but I am apprehensive about paying it because once it is paid I feel I'll have no leverage for them to remove it. 

Is there any benefit to paying it? Can I request they remove it after it has been paid? I am tempted to just pay it, so it will at least update as paid if I am going to be stuck with it for the next three years...

You can call the OC ask them to recall the CA and then pay them off in full, if they wont do it, then DV the CA if its within the first 30 days they have the collection, if it sticks then try the PFD again, if they still refuse and its past SOL I might just let it sit if you are not apping for any major loans, the older it gets the less you can offer. You can also just PIF if you want that would stop it from updating monthly if thats what they are doing now. Your choice,

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you owe these guy a dollar they would put in on yout credit report. i would bbb them and dispute cra then cfpb or try to pay the oc maybe on their website with your original account number !

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Paying stops the accrual of additional interest, which once the debt is in arrears can be substnatial.

While paying will not give you immediate score increase, it will look much better upon a manual review to show the debt is satisfied.

Your credit is not based only on a three-digit score.

I see no basis for asserting violation of the FCRA or improper business practice other than they are not doing what you desire.

Thus, I would not recommend a complaint to the CRPB or BBB.

That would also most likely be counter-productive to any future request for GW deletion after the debt is paid.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.