Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERC collection sent letter to OC AT&T

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ERC collection sent letter to OC AT&T

I sent this to AT&T after reaching out via social media. This debt is due to fall off in 2018, but I don't believe it should be in my report at all! If they delete this account then my last baddie will fall off in May '16 (yes!).

"In 2011 I ordered home phone service because I saw a commercial about internet being 14.95 if you have phone service. Anyways, I was never able to make a single call (not even a dial tone) and my internet was never 14.95 so I just continued using my internet phone number (google voice).

We moved shortly there after and transferred service to this address. I then received a bill for home phone service I called to cancel and explain my situation. The customer service rep advised me that the address where home phone service was installed was "1017 apt A *********". However, the address where I lived was, in fact, "1017 & 1/2 apt A *********" (note the "& 1/2"). She understood my dilemma and closed out my account.

She advised me that the final bill was closed out at a zero ($0) balance. I went on with my life, never received any additional correspondence from AT&T regarding this account and continued to use my internet service at my new address. I still use AT&T for internet service to this day.

I recently bought a car and saw that my credit score was not what I expected. After pulling all three credit reports I see and $86 collections account from Enhanced Recovery Company with the original creditor being AT&T.   How can this be, I'm still using the internet from AT&T. I wrote a "dispute Validation" email to the collection agency because I thought my Identity had been stolen. 

I spoke to customer service at AT&T and was told there was no balance due. Transferred to the collections department and a very unhelpful representative told me to immediately pay the $86 I owe. I tried to explain the same thing to her and she told me that she could not adjust the final bill. I told her I would like to speak to someone who could and she transferred me back to customer service who has no record of this debt at all. Circles.

Meanwhile my credit is suffering and I am still a loyal customer of AT&T's. I would not willfully let a bill that small go into collections.  A paid collections is just as bad as an unpaid collections according to the credit bureaus! I want this off my report as it is not my fault, I was told it was a zero balance and never heard anything else about it until I checked my credit report. If I legitimately owe I am willing to pay only if this collections is completely removed from all three reports. Thank you. Any and all correspondence can be sent to...."

AT&T called yesterday I was unavailable at the time. They should call back today and I'll tell y'all how it goes!

Wish me luck!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
undrtkr65
Frequent Contributor

Re: ERC collection sent letter to OC AT&T

I just paid off my old wireless bill off with AT&T and they told me the collection agency that it was with will remove it from my credit. Did you contact the charge off department thats who I talked to. Two representative told me the same thing.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I talked to 8 different people. CSRs could not even find the debt. Collections dept lady was really rude and only wanted me to pay without knowing if it would come off my report. I asked to speak to someone who COULD help me and she transferred to CSR. Hopefully the person who calls today has some answers for me.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well Diane never called back after leaving a message on Sunday. But thanks to myfico member momof5 I was able to get a hold of AT&T's EO.
She listened patiently and after verifying some info she agreed the collection should be removed. She said she needed a couple of days but it sounds like the whole bill is going to be zeroed out.
These forums are amazing!!!
Thanks MyFico and member momof5!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.