Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERC help

tag
steelholder
Regular Contributor

ERC help

Have a collections through erc for att. Was told I could pay att directly and want it to delete front my reports not just show pif. I've read how some dispute right after paying and having it deleted that way. How does that work? When and how do I dispute after paying? Thanks
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ERC help

Following- ERC is a collection I will be trying for a PFD at a later date. 

Message 2 of 39
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Paying the OC, providing they agree to accept payment, does not provide basis for disputing the collection.

A collection is the reporting by a debt collector of their authority to collect on the debt.

Paying does not negate the fact that the debt collector had authority to collect.

The debt collector, upon receiving notice from the OC that the debt has been paid, must close their collection and update the balance to $0.

CRA policy instructs debt collectors not to delete their collection based on payment of the debt, regardless of whose hands the payment first passes to.

CRA policy instructs debt collectors to delete only if their collection authority (e.g., assignment from the creditor) was terminated BEFORE the debt was paid.

Unless the creditor terminated their assignment of collection authority prior to your payment of the debt, there is no basis for dispute of the continued showing of the collection.

Message 3 of 39
steelholder
Regular Contributor

Besides gw letters can anything else be done to have them wiped off my credit reports?

I know one option is to let the debt be transferred to another collector who might pfd. Would rather pay now.
Message 4 of 39
steelholder
Regular Contributor

Anyone have success removing erc by paying att directly?
Message 5 of 39
steelholder
Regular Contributor

For those who've dealt with erc, do they sell off the collections to other agencies?About how long did that take?
Message 6 of 39
steelholder
Regular Contributor

Hopeful bump
Message 7 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had success years ago. I not only paid AT&T but I settled. Then I disputed the ERC claim and filed a BBB claim saying I settled with ERC. The only problem I have had over the years is that every now and then I new collection agency pops up with the debt. I just D.C. And it goes away.
Message 8 of 39
steelholder
Regular Contributor

Thanks. When it pops up does it come back under erc? Have you asked them about it? Did you see an improvement in score?
Message 9 of 39
steelholder
Regular Contributor

update:

I disputed this collections with all 3 agencies last week. I recieved notice from Experian today stating it would be deleted, does this mean  the rest will also delete? This was a fairly new collections added Jan of this year, can I expect to see a score increase?

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.