Regular Contributor
NWintellectual

EX can't verify SSN

TL;DR version:

EX can't verify my SSN to allow me to get free scores from US Bank. I need a number to a LIVE person who can fix this for me, automated systems do not work (I've tried too many times to count).

Full version:

So I found out that US Bank offers a free EX credit score as a perk of being a credit card holder from them. I currently have 2 secured CCs from them ($500, $300). However when I try to enroll, I get a message that it can't be processed and I need to call in for further assistance. I call the number listed and am told it is because they can't verify my SSN. I believe this issue is due to the fact that from when I turned 18 (1999) until 2006 or so, I was using a different SSN than my actual one. The reason for this was not fraud or anything nefarious - rather a miscommunication or confusion when I applied for a SS card when I started working in 1997 (having lost my other one at time of issue), the SS folks sent me a card that had an SSN one digit off from my actual number. I only found out about this issue later when applying to open a new bank account and the bank was unable to verify and that I needed to get a letter of verification from SS.

In case it matters at all, the variation is due to the fact that my legal name contains a suffix (II - I'm named after my deceased uncle who died about 8 years before I was born). Perhaps I did not include this info in my initial application for a SS card, but one would think that the DOB would point them in the right direction.

Once I had the "new" number, I notified all of my creditors and others that use my SS number of the change. In some cases, I had to mail in copies of the card, which I did. Now two of the three CRAs report a "variation" on my file, which is fine since I'm not trying to hide anything.

My question here is does anyone have a number for Experian that gets me in touch with a LIVE PERSON. I do NOT under any circumstances want to deal with an automated system that only exists to get me to PAY for a CR from them. I don't feel I should have to pay money to fix an error with THEIR information. What makes it even weirder is the fact that I was able to pull a CR through FreeAnnualCreditReport.com about two weeks ago without any issues.

So sorry about the rambling post but I'm at my wits end with these people. I want to help them to have accurate information on me for both of our sakes but they do not make it easy to get a hold of a live person to fix the problem. So if anyone has any numbers for Experian that put me in touch with a living, breathing human being, I will be in your debt for a long time.

Starting Score (2/15/14): TU 533 (myFICO) | EQ 509 (myFICO)
Latest score (4/5/14): TU 541 (Lender) | EQ 562 (SW) | EX 576 (myFICO)
Goal Score by 9/30/14: 620+ | Goal Score by 6/30/15: 700+
-----
My wallet:
US Bank LanPass Secured $500 | US Bank HD Secured $300 | Fingerhut $200 | Local CU $1000

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}