cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easier Card Than Barclay But NOT Capital One?

tag
WebGuru
Established Member

Easier Card Than Barclay But NOT Capital One?

So... I'm on the quest for my 3rd bank card.

I've had suggestions on here already like a local credit union and such and I'm thankful for these suggestions but I'm looking for some more!

I have two capital one cards, the platinum and the QS1... QS1 is $800 CL that I increased from $300 just a few days ago. Platinum still needs another month before a CLI but is at $500 CL.

I also have a $550 CL with fingerhut, $300 Kohls, 800 with Amazon... but it is my understanding that these report differently and I really need to get a third bank card.

I've applied for Barclay's Mastercard Rewards but was denied. I called the recon line a few different times and keep getting the same story, they need to see more history, so I guess I just need to sit back for maybe 6 more months before re-appling.

I applied for Discover It but I should have known better that I would be denied. I didn't even try to call the recon line.

Are there other options out there I'm not aware of? I would like to avoid a secured card if possible.

My scores are listed below!

Any advice or direction would be welcome!

Thanks.

10/15 TU-637 EQ-632 EX-634
QS1-$800 QS1-$500 Cap1 Platinum- $1500 Fingerhut-$550 Amazon Store Card-$800 Kohls-$300 Express-$500 Overstock-$500 BuyPowerCard-$300
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Easier Card Than Barclay But NOT Capital One?

You should just chill for 6 months.   You have all the cards you need.  Just let them bake for a while.  Barclay's and Discover are your obvious next choices and they aren't biting right now.

You don't want crap cards like Credit One or First Premier, and they are the only "unsecured" major bank cards I can think of.

You could get an OpenSky secured for $200, or get a secured from SDFCU or another CU, but you don't need one for scoring.

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest a secured card through SDFCU until Barclayswill approve you.
Message 3 of 27
WebGuru
Established Member

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

You should just chill for 6 months.   You have all the cards you need.  Just let them bake for a while.  Barclay's and Discover are your obvious next choices and they aren't biting right now.

You don't want crap cards like Credit One or First Premier, and they are the only "unsecured" major bank cards I can think of.

You could get an OpenSky secured for $200, or get a secured from SDFCU or another CU, but you don't need one for scoring.

You may be right. I was just really wanting a third card before the 1st of the year. Perhaps Discover or Barclay's will change their mind by then. I really don't want a secured card.

QS1-$800 QS1-$500 Cap1 Platinum- $1500 Fingerhut-$550 Amazon Store Card-$800 Kohls-$300 Express-$500 Overstock-$500 BuyPowerCard-$300
Message 4 of 27
WebGuru
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the comment. I'm just not interested in doing a secured card. I would just wait if that's the only option.

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Milestone Gold Mastercard. It's a step up from the likes of Credit One. They have a pre-qualifer site - it's an SP, so if no offers, try again every few weeks.

https://milestonegoldcard.com/get-your-gold-card

Annual fee is tiered, so you may be offered $35, $59, or $75 ($99 thereafter). Based on your scores and credit profile (the cards you already have), you should qualify, and may get the $59 AF or even, though it's a stretch, the $35 AF. Worth a go. It's a decent starter card that may grow a bit over time.

Barclay recon raps are spot on about lack of history. Barclay is also inquiry sensitive. For rebuilders, excessive inquiries are difficult to avoid, so it may be best to put Barclay on the backburner for a year or more.

When your scores, in particular, Experian, get above 670, visit the Amex prequalifier site. Amex has a wide range of cards, and some are relatively easy to get. A big caveat though is Amex has a long memory, so if you still own them any money, getting approved will be extra challenging.

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WebGuru wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the comment. I'm just not interested in doing a secured card. I would just wait if that's the only option.

@WebGuru wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was like you.  Didn't want a secured card, but after reading postings on the forum, I realized that if I was going to move forward, then this was something that I would have to consider.  Before I got my secured Cap 1 card, I had $300 Kohls account and $150 Walmart account.  Everything else in my profile came after that.  Not where I would like to be with a lot of prime cards, but I've gone from $450 CLs to over $50k in limits   Respect your decision about it, just wanted to let you know my story. 

Message 7 of 27
WebGuru
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Milestone Gold Mastercard. It's a step up from the likes of Credit One. They have a pre-qualifer site - it's an SP, so if no offers, try again every few weeks.

https://milestonegoldcard.com/get-your-gold-card

Annual fee is tiered, so you may be offered $35, $59, or $75 ($99 thereafter). Based on your scores and credit profile (the cards you already have), you should qualify, and may get the $59 AF or even, though it's a stretch, the $35 AF. Worth a go. It's a decent starter card that may grow a bit over time.

Barclay recon raps are spot on about lack of history. Barclay is also inquiry sensitive. For rebuilders, excessive inquiries are difficult to avoid, so it may be best to put Barclay on the backburner for a year or more.

When your scores, in particular, Experian, get above 670, visit the Amex prequalifier site. Amex has a wide range of cards, and some are relatively easy to get. A big caveat though is Amex has a long memory, so if you still own them any money, getting approved will be extra challenging.

Thanks Ronpa!

I've seen the milestone card before but was under the impression it was very similar to creditone. If I knew about it when I was in the mid 500s I would have gone for it, but at this point I may be better off waiting a while. It also seems like the standard limit for the milestone gold card is $300... kinda want to get something a bit higher limit, otherwise I could just use the SCT and get a few lines without the hard pull.

Message 8 of 27
WebGuru
Established Member

kaykay65 wrote

I was like you.  Didn't want a secured card, but after reading postings on the forum, I realized that if I was going to move forward, then this was something that I would have to consider.  Before I got my secured Cap 1 card, I had $300 Kohls account and $150 Walmart account.  Everything else in my profile came after that.  Not where I would like to be with a lot of prime cards, but I've gone from $450 CLs to over $50k in limits   Respect your decision about it, just wanted to let you know my story. 

KayKay, thanks for the response. Would you have gotten a secured card if you already had 2 unsecured cap1 cards?

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WebGuru wrote:

kaykay65 wrote

KayKay, thanks for the response. Would you have gotten a secured card if you already had 2 unsecured cap1 cards?

Yes because I wouldn't have had the 3 bankcards reporting for FICO scoring purposes.  I got the secured Discover card a couple of months after secured Cap 1, and was planning to add SDFCU when I got Barclays and Amex.  I keep SDFCU open and am adding money each month to checking and savings because at some point in time when my scores hit 720, then the offers from them will open up and from what I read here on the forum, the offers are good. 

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.