Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of PFD on SOL?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Effect of PFD on SOL?

I sent a PFD to Unique for a debt from 2009. They haven't responded but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just left it alone. Does my offer to settle restart the SOL clock? (I did state in the letter that I was not acknowledging the debt)

Unfortunately I found out about PFDs before I learner that I should have sent a DV request. Since they didn't respond to the PFD can I go back a step and request validation?

Thanks for all your help and support! Since finding this board and learning what to do and even what to say in my letters I've gotten three deletions in one month!!! I owe that to all of you who post your questions and answers here.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: Effect of PFD on SOL?

@Anonymous wrote:
I sent a PFD to Unique for a debt from 2009. They haven't responded but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just left it alone. Does my offer to settle restart the SOL clock? (I did state in the letter that I was not acknowledging the debt)

Unfortunately I found out about PFDs before I learner that I should have sent a DV request. Since they didn't respond to the PFD can I go back a step and request validation?

Thanks for all your help and support! Since finding this board and learning what to do and even what to say in my letters I've gotten three deletions in one month!!! I owe that to all of you who post your questions and answers here.

It depends on the laws of your state, but yes, an offer to pay can reset the SOL clock.  While most every state has adopted UCC, they all differ in how they implemented it and they approach the situation differently, so it depends on where you live.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 2 of 5
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you concerned with the SOL or the CRTP?

Because if you are planning to pay at somepoint, either via PFD or settlement and try to GW later, the SOL is completely irrelevant to you; and the CRTP is always based on the DOFD, which will not have changed merely by making an offer.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had read that when a CA gets a DV they are less likely to validate if the SOL has run out. So I'm thinking that since I did it backward now I might have given them an incentive to validate. As you can tell I'm quite new to the boards so every day I'm learning something new here from reading others' experience.
Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Good job on not acknowledging the debt.  As long as you have the funds to pay if they accept a PFD you will be just fine.  You haven't reset the clock on anything.  If they accept it,pay it and it's done.   

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.